Chapter Fifteen

***

"Falling too fast to prepare for this
Tripping in the world could be dangerous
Everybody circling, it's vulturous
Negative, nepotist

Everybody waiting for the fall of man
Everybody praying for the end of times
Everybody hoping they could be the one
I was born to run, I was born for this."

Min Yoongi was someone who had a lot of power in his hands in the world they now lived in. He was Taehyung's equal when it came to skills and assets, but he was far above him in their social hierarchy. Even if Taehyung was the leader of the Congress, Yoongi was far above—he was The Councilman. The person who was in charge of taking decisions regarding humanity's well-being and future. When it came to crisis situations and Codes, it was Yoongi who took the decision. It was he who had to announce that many will die while others may live. Being born in a family of military generals had turned Min Yoongi into the most suitable person to occupy such a demanding position as that. Being The Councilman required both intelligence and cruelty—Yoongi often had to watch people die because he had ordered them to do so but that's what being in that position required.

For the sake of humanity, sacrifices had to be made and Min Yoongi had learned that the hard way.

Taehyung respected the man and, after learning of his desire to free Jeongguk, he had started to respect him even more. Still, he knew it wasn't going to be that easy because, truth be told, nothing was easy when it came to his life and now he was certain that it was the same for Jeongguk.

They seemed to have a similar fate, the two of them—filled with pain and loss, with despair and dehumanization.

As he stared at Yoongi, who was still across his room, holding documents in his hand and gazing at Taehyung from under his glasses, the doctor couldn't help but raise his voice.

"What do you mean you want me to run?"

Letting out a sigh past his lips, Yoongi took off his glasses and set them on the table. He leaned closer to the doctor, eyes as serious as ever—in all the years they've known each other, Yoongi had never smiled.

Not even once.

"I want you to buy me some time." He explained. "The members of the Council caught wind of Jeongguk's existence after his quirky departure and now they want to exploit him further which means that he'll be locked away in places far worse than this one. What I said was true—I do want to free him." Yoongi stopped, tilting his head to the side as he raised one eyebrow towards Taehyung. "But that means I need time to get everything right and you're going to buy me the time I need by getting the fuck out of here before the boy gets killed."

"You're unbelievable." Taehyung groaned. He turned around, hands propped on his hips as he stared around his room before he finally faced Yoongi again. "So am I supposed to just pack my things and go? Go where exactly?"

"I don't know, Taehyung, but I'm sure you're aware that Jeongguk can't stay here. Not if the Council knows about him." Yoongi was getting angrier by the second and Taehyung could relate to his feelings because he was starting to feel his blood boil inside his veins as well. "If you care about him, you're going to do what I asked you. He may be the last remaining hope for humanity's salvation."

Shaking his head, Taehyung sighed. He was on the verge of talking again when that familiar warmth spread around his body and that scent that made him feel at peace filled his nostrils.

"We will be alright."

Jeongguk's voice echoed in his head, reminding him that now the man seemed to be tied to his mind and soul. It felt weird, having another person's voice echo inside your mind, but it also felt incredibly peaceful. Knowing that neither of them were alone anymore.