Chapter Sixteen

TRIGGER WARNING: Religion, blood

Please remember that this work is fictional and whatever I am portraying through my writing should be considered as so. This chapter has religious connotations so please be weary of that while reading.

***

"I see you
You see me
How pleasant
This feeling
The moment
You hold me
I missed you
I'm sorry
I've given
What I have
I showed you
I'm growing
The ashes
Fall slowly
As your voice
Consoles me."

Running seemed to be pointless because, eventually, the path ahead of them came to a harsh stop. Not in the form of a wall that wouldn't let them pass, but in the form of armed guards who surrounded them both, guns aimed at Taehyung despite all the influence and power he owned in that compound — in their world. Power didn't seem to matter when someone reached the end of the line.

"Kim Taehyung," One of their voices echoed in the hallway, above the still blaring alarm, making Yeonjun wonder what could possible be so important that they would consider shooting the leader of the Congress on sight. "we have orders to shoot you down if you don't follow our instructions. Please don't make this harder than it already is. The Council is here and they're going to get to him whether you want to let them or not. Nothing can be done anymore."

Yeonjun turned his head to the doctor, watching his expression, his body, anything that could help him understand what the hell was happening. Taehyung was running, he had said he had to get out from there to save someone, but was he truly running from the Council? If so, how could he ever escape?

No one escaped the Council.

What was so important that Kim Taehyung, the man who's dedicated his whole life to the Council and the Congress, would consider throwing everything out the window just to follow through with one mission?

Who could be so important?

Who was it that he needed to save?

"Sir," Yeonjun whispered, trying to make Taehyung stand down before he was going to get shot. He didn't want that to happen. "I think you should reconsider."

Instead of listening, Taehyung did the opposite.

He stepped towards the guards until one of the guns was pressed to his chest and, when he reached them, he stared into their eyes with such bravery that Yeonjun felt even more respect fill his heart for that man. Taehyung was shaking but he was still facing the possibility of getting shot with a wild gaze in his eyes.

Devotion. That's what lingered in his eyes. Towards what, Yeonjun didn't know.

Towards whom.

"Shoot me." He demanded. "Shoot me if you have what it takes. But I know you don't."

And with that, he stepped aside and walked past the guards, all their shoulders dropping as they let the doctor walk through them. None of them was going to shoot Taehyung. They've been colleagues, friends, and most of them were aware that he was the one who was supposed to save them. Shooting the only chance at survival they had was idiotic.

Yeonjun wanted to follow Taehyung, but before he could do that, the alarms stopped and the lights suddenly went out, leaving only the emergency lights on — red hues enveloped them all just as a group of people emerged from the other side of the hallway.

From the path Taehyung was heading to. The sight of those people made the doctor halt in his tracks and, for a second, Yeonjun wondered if he stopped because he was scared.