Chapter 16

"Clover!" Zoey threw her arms around me the second Parker and I emerged out of the forest. "What you did with the water was so cool!"

"Thanks, Zoey," I beamed. My glance kept returning to Diego, though. Somehow even in situations like these, he looked more perfect than ever. He let his hand run through his glorious wave-like hair and walked up to me, his eyes shone.

"I'm... I'm glad you're okay," he said to me.

"Oh! Me too!" I giggled, more excited than ever. I noticed Zoey, Zack, and Parker's confused looks and toned it down a little. "I mean... I'm okay. Thanks for caring."

Diego didn't seem to notice my over exaggerated excitement, though. He reached into his bag and pulled out a map.

"Lord Julian told us all to find Bizaria. She could be anywhere. Do you think we should split up?" Zoey asked.

Parker rolled his eyes and looked around in slight annoyance. "There are people going after all of us. Especially Clover. You want us to go off by ourselves?"

While Zoey fumed, Diego looked at the map.

"What's that for?" Zack questioned.

Diego smiled at him and then turned his attention to... me!

"Change of plans. Father told me to head back to school. We're going to regroup."

He put the map back into his pouch and started to look at our surroundings. There was barely anyone, most of them fled during the fire. But some had decided it was safe to come back.

"Clover, you and I will teleport. The rest of you can fly."

Zack squealed and we all looked at him. "Does that mean we get to ride a pegasus?"

"Yes Zack, and one's on its way," stated Diego. Then, he looked up to the sky, which suddenly got darker. "In fact, there she is now." We all followed his gaze and noticed a beautiful beige pegasus hovering over us. When she saw Diego, she landed and trotted up to us.

The few people who were closeby stared at us in surprise. Some kids squealed in excitement, pointing at the pegasus.

"Meet Liberty," introduced Diego. At the sound of her name, Liberty neighed happily.

"Who does she belong to?" Zack asked as he petted her mane.

I noticed Diego started to blush. "Me," he admitted.

"Of course," Parker scoffed.

"I think she's lovely," I smiled. "Do you think... I could ride her too? I've never written a pegasus before."

Diego thought about it and finally nodded. "Sure, she can only carry two people at a time, so she'll have to come back."

"I'm going with Zack," Zoey declared, as she grabbed her brother's hand. Boy, was she protective of him. She and Liberty seemed to be having their own conversation between them.

Diego noticed too. "Zoey, stop talking to my pet."

Zoey pouted, "Fine. But just so you know, she already loves me."

I nodded. "If Zoey's going with Zack, I'll go with..."

Parker chuckled as he waved teasingly. "Me. You're stuck with me, Southland."