10. Lies

♕♕♕

AS MARCUS CAME TO, shuffling could be heard all around him, along with hurried and nervous voices that few louder and louder. "They can't have just disappeared! There are cameras everywhere and a guard at every entrance!"

He recognized the voice. "...Lily," His voice was soft and his throat was painfully dry. "What...what happened?" He squinted in the bright lights of the infirmary.

She was at his side in an instant. "Marcus!" She breathed with relief. "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

He chuckled half-heartedly. "Apologies," He looked around and noticed Director Herald standing behind them, arms crossed and deep in thought. "Killian and Wyatt..." Marcus sighed. "They jumped me. Took the flash drive and Rosalie's innocence along with it."

"Did you see where they went?" Lily asked, leaning forward.

Marcus shook his head. "No. I was out cold before I could get anything useful," He hung his head in shame. "I'm so sorry I let this happen."

"It's not your fault, Beck," The Director stepped forward. "I see now the true natures of the Foster's and sadly, they have a lot of influence around here. Lily," He turned to the older woman. "They most likely got help from people on the inside. I need you to lock down all the facilities — they couldn't have gotten far. I have some calls to make." Lily nodded, rushing off to fulfil his request.

"Wait, Director!" Marcus called as he headed for the door. Director Herald turned around. "Please tell me — is Rosalie alright?"

The Director nodded softly. "Yes. We've moved her to a holding room where she'll be more comfortable while we track down Wyatt and Killian."

Marcus nodded slowly. "Good, good. Thank you, sir," He watched the Director leave in sadness, left to his hospital bed alone.

  The nap was glorious. Rosalie hadn't slept that good since they were at Melina's house. The temporary holding room Herald had placed her in was similar to her dorm in college — white bricked walls, a mini-fridge, a bed so uncomfortable it somehow was comfortable — everything she needed while still being considered a traitor to the country.

A knock at the door grabbed her attention. "Hello?" She called. The handles jiggled and unlocked, revealing a worried-looking Herald on the other side. "Director Herald! Is...everything alright?" She looked him up and down — his entire body was tense.

"Rosalie..." He began. "We can't seem to locate Killian or Wyatt and they left Agent Beck severely beaten in their wake."