Chapter 1

Sylvaine loved her kingdom. It was a very unique place. The kingdom of Tudela was filled with both humans and fey. It had always been like that. Her father, King Devon, had passed a law stating if you were caught harming any fey you would be executed. 

      But the fey had rules too. They were treated like humans and respected. So it was expected they followed the same rules set by the king, like humans. For example, if a fey was found guilty of murder or theft. Their punishment would be the same as if a human had committed those crimes. 

      Some people did not share the same views as your father and the rest of the kingdom. They wanted the fey's gone. Out of the kingdom. Exterminated. Those people always found ways to stir up conflict. Their views of the fey sicken Sylvaine. 

      Sylvaine was shaken out of her thoughts by a hand waving in front of her vision. She looked up to see her great friend Sheridan [Share-ih-dun], who looked at her funny.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Sheridan asked quietly, in her angelic voice.

"It's really nothing. I was just thinking of the kingdom, and how wonderful it is." Sylvaine sighed out.

"Well we better hurry up. I am supposed to meet Drystan today for lunch." Sheridan replied. 

"Oh not him again!" Sylvaine groaned out playfully.

       Sheridan just giggled while collecting her things and getting ready to go. Drystan was Sheridan's fiance. They had been together for awhile now, but they were both happy and planning to be wed soon. 

      Drystan was a dessert fey. Sheirdan was a human. You knew in many other kingdom's this was frowned upon. But in Tudela, this kind of thing was normal. However, because of these types of relationships many different half-breeds and cross-breeds were created. Not that anyone minded. 

      Sylvaine was once again knocked out of her thoughts when a group of children, consisting of both fey and human, came running past her giggling. Sylvaine smiled gently before catching up to Sheirdan.

"So! Where are going for lunch?" Sylvaine questioned, pushing her waist length fiery red hair behind her shoulders. 

"Well, when I was heading to the market the other day I spotted this cute little cafe. I thought we should check it out. Drystan will be meeting up there." Sheirdan stated.

Sylvaine hummed in acknowledgement before she continued following Sheirdan.

"My Lady! Your father, the king, as requested your presence in the throne room. He says it is an emergency and expects you to be there soon," a plain looking guard on a horse stated before galloping off to God knows where.

"Well, there goes lunch." Sheirdan sighs.

"Yes well if it is an emergency we better hurry. My father won't wait for long." Sylvaine muttered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello father, what is the matter?" Sylvaine greets warmly.

"Ah yes, it is good that you are here. I have recently caught wind that children have gone missing. We believe it is the work of poachers. Which would make sense considering the war that just occurred in Ulstead" Sylvaine father sighed.

"Has it just been fey children?" Sylvaine questioned, thinked about the group of children she almost ran into today.

"That is the most confusing part. Poachers only hunt fey. But both human and fey children have been reported missing." Sylvaine father stated with a sad face.

"That is weird. Do you know why this is happening?" Sylvaine asked her father.

"I am afraid not. Which is why I am begging you to travel to the neighboring Kingdom of Ulstead and find out whats happening. I have already requested a meeting with King Philip and Queen Aurora. Hopefully you will get answers so we can find those children," her father trailed off.

"Yes of course I'll go, father!" Sylvaine exclaimed. "I want to find those children as much as you do."

"Thank you dear Sylvaine. You are truly a blessing. I will have a letter sent to the King and Queen of Ulstead right away. Why don't you go ahead and start packing." Sylvaine's father exclaimed with joy.

"Alright! I will start right away. May I invite Sheirdan and Drystan, please father?" Sylvaine questioned excitedly.

"Yes, Yes that will be okay dear," your father responded rather tiredly. "Well, while you pack I am going to take a nap. I hope you make it to Ulstead nicely, my sweet Sylvaine."

"Thank you, sleep well father." Sylvaine replied before quickly scurrying to her room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You two all ready to go?" Drystan asked the two girls standing before him. 

"Yes  darling, now quit your worrying and get up in the air!" Sheirdan playfully commanded to her fiance.

"Your wish is my command," Drystan smirked before shooting off into the sky.

"You know Sheirdan, that man of yours sure can be a jerk sometimes. He left with out us!" Sylvaine shouted in frustration while climbing upon her horse. 

"Yes he can be, but he means no harm. No lets hurry up so we can get to Ulstead before tomorrow morning." Sheirdan giggled while riding along the worn path to the Kingdom of Ulstead.

      Sylvaine spent the entire trip thinking about the journey to Ulstead and the missing kids. Was the trip really worth it? What if they didn't learn anything and were back to square one? So many what ifs swirled around Sylvaine's head.

       No, she thought, I will stay positive. I will find those missing kids and make my father proud. Then I will go back home and sleep in my nice comfy bed. 

       But in the back oh her head, another thought emerged. What if something else happened while she was there?

***********************************************************************************************

Hello! This is the author. This is my very first book, so constructive criticism is very much welcome. I ask that you please be patient. I am still in school and will have limited time to update. But I will try my best! But please tell me what you thought of this, and any mistakes I made. 

Thank you and have a wonderful day!