Part 10 - The Change

Amy reached down to cover herself with her paws, and looked around in a panic for something she could hide behind. She'd been prepared for her first day on a new job to include all kinds of things, but finding herself naked in front of a stranger wasn't anything she had anticipated. The fox, Auburn, didn't seem to be bothered at all, and put one giant hand on Amy's shoulder to stop her squirming. The other paw produced a couple of baby wipes, and she started wiping down Amy's thighs and crotch with businesslike efficiency. Amy tried to stop her, grasping at her wrist in protest, but she was tiny now and the fox could completely ignore her protests.

"Don't worry, Amy," she said, "It's nothing I haven't seen before. You're just a little kid now, remember? There's nothing wrong with a grown-up making sure you're properly clean. Your coordination isn't so good any more, so I bet you'd have trouble doing it yourself."

Amy paused, thinking about the words and trying to make sense out of it. Auburn had said one long word that she didn't know at all, but she understood all the others, so it should only take a moment to think what it all meant. She was still thinking when Auburn's hands lifted her feet again, and quickly fastened a diaper around her waist.

"Hey!" she squealed as the big fox fastened the tapes on each side, "I told you I don't need a diaper."

"And I said you should try it just in case. Isn't that the smart thing to do? If you can hold it all day, then you won't have to wear one tomorrow. Is that fair?"

"Uhh..." Amy couldn't think of any argument. She didn't want to be wearing a diaper, she knew she wasn't a little baby, but it seemed like she didn't have any choice. Then again, she already knew that she didn't need one. There would be nothing to stop her taking it off as soon as she was out of sight. "I s'pose," she grudgingly agreed.

"That's that, then. I've got some new shorts for you here. Do you need me to help you, or do you want to try putting them on yourself?"

Amy grabbed at the shorts, and quickly thrust her feet into them. It was like Auburn had said, she couldn't move as easily as she thought, and it took her two tries to get one leg in each hole. Then she realised she'd managed to get the shorts backwards, and would have to try again. She double checked, and found the tail belt at the back, right where it was supposed to be. She had escaped embarrassment after all; until she glanced up at Auburn and saw her tapping a clothing update menu on her tablet. Amy had got it wrong, she hadn't been able to move her new little body as well as she thought, but the fox had fixed the mistake quietly, without saying anything.

Somehow that was even more embarrassing.

"Now, I've got something for you," Auburn turned away and walked to a cupboard on the other side of the room. "A present for a good little girl not causing me any trouble. Can you guess what it is?"

Amy had no idea, but she wasn't thinking about that anyway. She was thinking about getting the shameful diaper off while the grown-up wasn't looking, so she could drop it in the recycling chute and not have to worry about disposing of it somewhere. Her fingers wouldn't move right where she wanted, and she could only grab the end of one of the tapes using claws that had shrunk to pinpoints, but that was good enough. She started to peel off the tape, proud of even the smallest success, but the fox turned around before she'd unstuck even one side.

"Now, what did we just say?"

"I don't need a diaper. I'm a big girl." Amy hoped to sound important, like she knew what she was doing. But she could hear herself talking, and she knew she sounded like a stubborn child. With the way she looked right now, no grown-up would take her seriously.

"Well, I gave you a chance to prove it. But it looks like you don't want to behave, so I'll have to take away the temptation."

"Tem-tay-shur?" Amy found herself repeating the big word out loud as she tried to remember what it meant. Auburn nodded, smoothing the tape Amy had been playing with back down flat again. And then she tapped a quick pitter-patter of buttons on her tablet.

"There. Now you have to be good."

Amy looked up at the tablet, and down at her diaper again. It looked almost the same, a thick white piece of cloth with dancing bunnies printed around the top, and a yellow smiley face on the front. But when she ran her paws over the tabs again, she found that they didn't lift up at all. The tapes were printed on now, and the diaper was fastened above her hips, too snug to slip down. She'd used smart clothes for years, and adjusted their sizes for any number of reasons, but never even considered that someone could be trapped in their clothes because of a sizing mistake. If she wanted to take the diaper off now, she would be lost without a tablet or phone of her own.

"Hey, no fair!" she protested, "I can't take it off now, what about when I need the bathroom?" As she said it, Amy's attention drifted back to the pressure in her bladder. She had peed a little when she fell down, but she'd had enough presence of mind to stop as soon as she realised. But now her quick thinking meant she would need to take the diaper off sooner rather than later, and she didn't know how she was supposed to manage that.

"Then you'll have to come and find a grown-up to help you," the fox answered without hesitation. It was clear she'd done something like this before; she already knew what Amy's questions would be, and she had all the questions lined up ready. "Just like a good little kitten. Do you think you can do that?"