Chapter Three

Shane came back to his usual self

Shane came back to his usual self. He was averting and ignoring his sister every second. Adelaide thought the other side of him that he expressed to her earlier would last for a long time; was she wrong.

She attempted to aid his fist with a band-aid, but he declined hardly, so Adelaide wandered away and began to watch over the children. Shane wasn’t speaking to her anyway, and he didn’t even bother to look at her.

Growing up, Adelaide has been with her grandparents. Her father would visit their place, but Shane never did. She has only seen Shane in the pictures, and the first time they saw each other was in their father’s wake. He would just glare at her like she wasn’t family. The worse thing was, she never knew what the reason was.

He is back to the brother who is mean to his sister mode, and Adelaide loathed that kind of Shane. The same Shane that watched her in the corner crying her eyes out after their father died and the same Shane who is rude to her whenever young Adelaide asks about their late mother. He didn’t even bother to contact or visit her when she was at their grandparents’ house.

Adelaide once asked her grandmother if she knew why Adelaide was separated from her family and the elderly woman replied, “When you were a baby, and your dad went to the store, he asked your brother to look after you. He thought Shane did his job, but when he came back from the store. You were crying on your crib with a pillow above your face.”