2. What We Left Behind

I know we only left yesterday but I already miss the shop. I knew where things were and I knew they wouldn't move. Now everything was uncertain. Again.

Father said I shouldn't get used to staying in the same place because it's not good for us. He says in times like these running is always safer.

      I know we've been hiding the situation we're in for a while now but it's time you two knew.

I think Big Sis already knows but she won't say anything.

      The disease. It's coming this way.

      Father, how do you know? Do we have it?

      I have reliable intel from an old friend. No we don't have it but we were close to it.

After Father spoke no one said a word. Silences like that always happen. It's hard to find things to talk about now. Nothing nice happens. Only death and disease are free. But we are trapped. It always feels like the world is closing in around us. Maybe it is.

Mother always tells me to stop being so negative but I can't help it. Especially when the sky is always grey in the day and black at night. Even the stars are gone now. There isn't really anything beautiful in the world anymore. Maybe the odd bird or flower but even they look grey now.

Father now says that we can't afford any unnecessary breaks because it's catching up to us. I'm not sure if Big Sis can manage it. Every step looks like it hurts her. I hope she's okay.

When Father has news he always says it's from an old friend. I wonder who they might be. Maybe they're from the company he used to work at before the world went silent or from the orchestra he used to play in.

I don't have friends only family. Mother won't stop making me say it. She says that in times like these family is all we've got and if we don't have that we don't have anything. Maybe I did have friends once but I don't really remember them all that much.

Big Sister remembers all her friends. She doesn't like to talk about them though. She thinks they're all gone but I don't want them to be for her sake.

I hope that maybe one day I can hear some of the music that Father used to play. His violin had become a weapon this past year. Nearly everything has become a weapon now. Something to hurt other people with when you see them.

I can tell by Father's slowing footsteps that we'll be stopping soon. I wonder how Nathan feels. This world is almost all he knows. He doesn't know what peace or comfort feels like and I can only hope that one day he will but that day might be far in future if there is one.

I didn't realise how painful it was to walk. The path up until now had been muddy and my thoughts take up much of my mind.

Mother has another headache but we don't have any more painkillers. I guess she'll have to sleep it off. We all have to sleep off something. It's the only way to escape today's problems. Father won't sleep though. I'm not sure he can. I know he'll be keeping a watchful eye over us. He promised me he would.