02

☾ ✩ ☽

28th August 1985

Just like most other days Lyra awoke early to a silent room apart from the light breathing of the other sleeping girls. Unfortunately for her, the birds crossing overhead had a tendency to sing, and no matter how sweet it might sound, it always kept Lyra from her sleep, due to her animal like hearing. This was rather dangerous, not for Lyra, but for anyone who had to be near her in the next couple of hours.

Groaning slightly, she rolled over to look at the clock on her bedside table. Six o'clock. The moment she saw the time she rolled her eyes and shoved her pillow on her face despite knowing it wouldn't help her go back to sleep.

Another day in hell.

Lyra knew were she was wasn't really hell, far from it, but sometimes she liked to imagine it was. At least that meant that there was a heaven out there somewhere. Although the people Lyra had grown up with weren't exactly the best or kindest to be around, it wasn't like some depressing story where the children had to do chores all day and night with no food or water. Nothing like that. However, no one was going to do anything for you. Carry your own weight. If not, we'll then the problems start. Lyra's routine of head up and mouth shut had worked so far.

Knowing she'd probably get into trouble for making noise this early, she quietly opened the draw next to her bed and took out her colouring book and few pencils she'd gotten from a charity shop down the road with Sammy. As Lyra was so young when her family was taken from her she didn't remember much about them. However, unknown to her, a few things stuck.

Looking out of the window and seeing the moon still in the sky, she started to draw.

By the time she finished the house had began to stir and awaken. Taking a pencil between her teeth she looked over her work. Carefully, she wrote Moony, just above her drawing of the wolf howling to the moon. Before she had time to dwell on it one of the girls started to wake up.

Quickly, she hopped out of bed and dressed in some worn jeans, a pair of black converse, a striped top and a cream knit jumper that was slightly to big for her as it used to belong to a younger Sammy. Carefully brushed her hair and finished it off by tiring a bow with her red ribbon. Not what she usually had to wear, apart from the ribbon which the girl was never seen without, but as today was a Tuesday, she knew the market in the high street was on. Since Lyra's fourth birthday it became a sort of tradition for her and Sammy to go to the Tuesday market together and ditch all the others.

Knowing if she got downstairs first she got first pick of breakfast, she shot through the door and slid down the banister towards the kitchen. As she skidded across the worn, wooden floor she noticed Sammy was already at the table with a slice of toast and water.

"How the hell did you get down here so quick?" She asked him.

"Watch your mouth. If matron heard that you we won't be allowed out. Also, just put your books down and looked at the clock, not too difficult." He blankly replied, not looking up from his breakfast.

"And here I though you wanted to see me sooner." She said sarcastically. "You know you sound like an old lady right. Watch your mouth." She mimicked in a high pitched tone.

A loud bang made Sammy jump and look up at Lyra, only to see her kneeling on the counter, arm outstretched, frozen in shock. Oh and covered in Cheerios as the box lay on the floor underneath her.

With a cheeky grin she slowly turn her head to face Sammy.

"Whoops."

The boy held back an eye roll but couldn't stop the smile tugging at his lips. No matter how hard the girl tried she always seemed to get herself in trouble one way or another.