Chapter X.

-----
Chapter X.

What is a friend?
-----

friends. could you explain what that word means? is it a toy who will keep you entertained - a companion who will swear their loyalty to you? someone who you trust to the point where you feel anxiety eating at you from the fear of being betrayed?

i never understood what a friend was.

back then, it was just me and my brother. we only had each other. even if our life was hell, with him around, it still felt like home.

what year was it? - hm, maybe when i was 4 or 5 years old. so, nearly 11 years ago.

my earliest memories were from when i turned 3. i remember me and my brother following our mother. i didn't understand what was going on. she was talking about something - no, begging and pleading. something must've been going on back then. my brother was at the fresh age of 7, making him 4 years older than me.

i remember the look in his eyes. was it, horror? he was crying while pulling on our mother's hand, begging for her to let go.

she brought us to a dark and secluded area. i remembered how she kicked him away when he tried to run after her. suddenly, light formed us and my mind when blank from then on.

when i woke up, we were at an orphanage. the living conditions were some-what, but the matrons and the sisters taking care of us were reincarnations of the devil himself. it turns out, my brother had found this place when i was knocked out. the only way we could stay with free meals and beds were if we were pushed to our linit everyday. it was a child labour orphanage.

children above 5 had to start working, meaning my brother was one of the unlucky kids. from day to night, i never saw him besides lunch and dinner. he was always up early, sewing shirts made for mass-produced clothing brands.

when I reached 5, i too joined the labour. however, he would always take over my load.

life was like that for the rest of the year.. i had grew to feel mundane about the labour. afterall, it still provided me with a place to stay and nutritious food. the number of children had increased during that time, making the sleeping quarters cramp and untidy.

it was when my brother turned 8, that my life started to change. despite this place being a child labour factory, it was still an orphanage. rich business people would come and collect children to make themselves appear like an empath while secretly making donations to the orphnage.

my brother was adopted by a rich family one particular day.

and i havent seen him since.

a month later, i too was adopted. aged 5, skinny and short, but born with beautiful golden eyes and silver hair. it was my now mother who adopted me. at first, i was skeptical. was she going to use ne for publicity? i heard she was married to a business magnet. she was probably going to neglect me like any other rich person.

but to my surprise, she didn't. she cared for me and raised me gently. i forgot all about the life back there. i even forgot about my brother. what i had now was far too amazing. what was even more surprising was that she didn't even try to use me and my background for status points. though, i did have playdate who came from an influential family.

my now father wasn't always around. he usually traveled the world for his restaurant, signing deals and making more chains. unlike me and mother, we were distant. but since now he had an heir to succeed the business, he paid more attention to me. got me tutors and paid for any activities i wanted to try.

my new life was too good to be true.

i began to forgot who i was, who was with me during those hard times.

then, i saw him.

kanemoto kazuma, the older brother of me, kanemoto kazuya.

he was an idol singer, stationed at korea, going by the stage name Zach. he had pink hair now. the group he was in was new, but very popular internationally.

his group was on a japanese variety show to promote their new japanese album.

i didn't recognize him at first, but when he started to talk about his childhood, i felt a pang of familiarity. somehow, i became a fan of his. the more i researched about him, the more it felt like i was catching up with him.

i wanted to meet him - i want to meet him.

i could've used my parents money to meet up with him, but would he even recognize me? he might've forgotten about me, like how i forgot about him.

but now, i stand here, hands gripped tightly with saiki, i could feel my heart beat getting slower.

"are you ready to go in?" he asked me.

we stood outside of the auditorium. kazuma's group was having a concert here for their 3rd japanese studio album.

everyone was here. there was teruhashi who was being bombarded by agencies, nendou, kaido and hairo excitedly getting themselves ready for the show while aren was off somewhere, maybe the toilet? yumehara was drooling over one of the boys on a poster and mera was snacking on the bag of chips i bought her.

maybe, me and kazuma could start over. as brothers again. if not, then i could settle for friends too.

-----
NOTE°
well, well, well. here's an actual chapter.

yeah, kazuya's brother is kazuma. his real name is kanemoto kazuya. if you're wondering, the pictore above is kazuma. the character is kang dojin from my fav manhwa of all time, POND SNAIL ROBBER.

YOU GUYS SRSLY HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT, ITS SO CUTE AND FLUFFY AND THE SIDE RELATIONSHIPS ARE JUST AS ADORABLE.

okay, anyways. hope you guys liked it! eat your foot fungus and drink toilet water every day!

++ i'd appreciate if you guys would comment your thoughts. it feels so lonely here. jk, but fr comment whatever. knowing you guys like this book gives me enough motivation to continue it!

- niki 🔑