2: ginger candies

Satoru Gojo was a spoiled child. He got everything he wanted (minus you know, actual affection) and never had to ask twice for anything. If he saw something he liked, he took it without a thought.

I guess Megumi can relate to that last part. Thought the sorcerer as he watched the child he recently adopted stuff another handful of ginger candies into his pocket while the woman checking them out wasn't looking.

"Alright, your total is $103.57" she turned from where she was bagging their groceries and smiled.

He handed her his card without looking, eyes still focused on Megumi and how his hair kind of made him think of those sea urchins they let you pet at the aquarium.

Satoru decides to voice his thoughts. "Megumi-kun, are sea urchins your favorite animal?"

The boy looks away from where the candies are to meet his eyes. "No."

"Then why do you style your hair like one?"

It was in that moment Megumi decided to kick Gojo in the shin as hard as he could, which wasn't very effective considering Gojo had his infinity on.

"I do not style my hair like a sea urchin!" "I just want it out of my face. And I like dogs better anyways."

The white haired man took his card back from the cashier with a wink and grabbed the cart. "If you want your hair out of your face, my dear Megumi, maybe you should spike your bangs up too." "Or you could always go get a haircut."

The child was silent for a moment. "You suck." he said with a slight pout.

"Megumi!" Gojo clutched at his chest. "You wound me!" "I'm just trying to offer my kindness to a poor child-"

"Car."

"We're in a parking lot kid, there's gonna be cars." "Plus, even if they hit me I'd be fine with my technique!" "It's sweet of you to worry about me though!" He turned around to where Megumi was walking with him only to find and empty space.

Oh shit, I lost the kid.

Just as he was about to enter panicked dad mode (was it really dad mode if he only knew the kid for a few months?) he felt something hit his infinity.

A ginger candy.

"MEGUMI!" He raced over to where the boy was standing by their parked car. "You scared the crap out of me kid!" "I thought I lost you!"

"You passed the car up." "And you left our groceries."

Satoru stared at him for a moment. Is this really a first grader? "Right. I'll go grab the cart and put everything in the trunk. You hop in the car, okay?"

"The car is locked."

He tossed the keys behind his back and walked to where he left their groceries. As he made his way back to the car, he ran over the ginger candy that was thrown at him. I guess I should lecture him about stealing on the way back.

Once everything was put away safely into the car (Megumi included), they drove off.

"You know you can ask me for anything, right kid?" "That's what I'm here for. Well, that and helping you master your cursed technique once we find out what it is!"

"Yeah, I know." "You've already told me this before."

"So why'd you steal the candy then?" Satoru smirked.

The boy's face morphed into a deer in the headlights expression that the blue eyed man wished he could see fully (unfortunately, he has to keep his eyes on the road). "I didn't steal anything."

"The ginger candy you threw at me in the parking lot came from thin air then? How odd, maybe it was a curse." "We should turn around and go make sure someone exorcised it already then!"

"No!" Megumi turned his head down. "You know I stole it, you prick."

"Can you tell me why?"

A quiet mumble came out.

"Gumi, my old man ears couldn't pick that up."

"Aren't you like 20 or something? And I said I felt bad asking you for the stupid candies."

"You do realize I'm going to have to buy you candy every time we go somewhere just in case you want it and are too scared to ask, right?"

"I wasn't scared." The kid turned to look out of the window.

"Sure you weren't Gumi, you weren't scared, you didn't steal anything, and I didn't almost loose you in a parking lot."

"Is that what we're telling Tsumiki?"

"That's what we're telling Tsumiki."

——————————-

AN: sorry these chapters are so short, I promise they'll get longer but i don't have the motivation for long chapters rn lol. lmk how you like the stories so far though :)