8: never like him

A/N: sorry I've been gone so long everyone! I'm thinking of maybe putting this fic on aO3 as well as here to get more reach? idk yet tho, lmk yalls opinions :)

——————————————

The house was close to the school. Despite the last minute decision to purchase a home, Gojo was able to make sure of that.

It was a five minute walk in a friendly (and relatively curse free) neighborhood with only one street to cross, so letting his recently acquired children make their way home by themselves wasn't that bad, right?

———————————————

Gojo sighed and looked out the window of the moving train as he made his way back home.

The higher ups had interrupted breakfast that morning with a call about another mission. Honestly, the teen was surprised they hadn't called sooner but still, it seemed like they couldn't get enough out of him now that the week long break Yaga granted him was over.

He had been able to walk the kids to school without a problem. However, picking them up was a different story.

"Megumi, Tsumiki, you guys used to take yourselves to and from school, right?" The sorcerer had asked.

Tsumiki nodded over her bowl of cereal. "Do you need to go away, Gojo-San?"

Gojo paused.

"Why do you automatically assume I'm leaving you guys?" He laughed uncomfortably. "I'm just going on a business trip for a little! I'll be back by dinner!"

The words seemed to soothe the young girl as she sent him a soft smile and nodded before continuing her breakfast.

Her brother was not so easily calmed. In fact, the boy sitting across from him only seemed more bothered by his words. He tensed in his seat. His eyes were glued onto his food. His knuckles turned white from the intensity of the grip he had on his spoon.

"You're leaving?" He asked without looking up.

"Only for a few hours, why?" The teen smirked. "You gonna miss me Megumi?"

"No."

"You don't have to lie, you know!" Gojo stood up and moved to stand behind Megumi. "I'd miss me too honestly."

The boy turned in his seat to scowl at him."I won't miss you, you jerk!" "I just want to be prepared!"

Silence.

"Prepared for what, kid?" The white haired man crouched down to face the child.

Megumi refused to meet his eyes. "You're going on a business trip."

"Well yeah-"

"That's what dad said." Green eyes met blue. "Before he left." "If you're leaving, you should just tell us. No need to act like you plan on coming back."

"WHAT?" Tsumiki shouted. "Gojo-San, you're not really gonna leave us, right?" Her voice trembled and tears welled in her eyes. "You'll come back, won't you?" She ran up to him and wrapped her tiny arms around his waist. "You have to come back, or else that weird zen-zen clan is gonna take 'Gumi from us, remember?"

Well that escalated quickly. Gojo thought as he cradled one crying child and received a death glare from the other one.

"I'm not your dad, Megumi." "When I say I'll come back, I mean it."

"You're not like him?" The little boy asked.

"Never like him."

"Then prove it."

————————————————

The train ride was finally over. Exhaustion clung to his bones as he trudged out of the station.

Making his way down the lit up streets, he paused.

Guess I should get them a gift since I got back so much later than I intended. The sorcerer thought.

————————————————

"Megumiiiiii, tsumikiiiiii!" "I'm home!" He sing-songed as he opened the door.

Not that he'd ever admit it to the little brats, but Gojo was just as excited as they were to finally be back at the house. It almost felt like home, in an odd sense of the word. He had created his own little family, his own little world that he got to keep all to himself. No higher ups, no curses (at least not until Megumi was a bit older), and no-THUNK!

His thoughts were interrupted by a pillow to the face.

"What the hell, Megumi?!"

SMACK! Another pillow.

"Shut up!" The boy whisper-shouted.

"Why-"

Suddenly, he noticed the small figure laying on the couch, sound asleep.

"Oh." Gojo shifted the bags in his arms awkwardly. "Oops."

Megumi rolled his eyes. "Tsumiki fell asleep waiting for you. She was worried you wouldn't be back."

"When I told you two I wasn't leaving, I meant it." The white haired man made his way to the small kitchen. He placed the bags of things he bought on the table and began emptying their contents.

Fushiguro eyed the food curiously.

"You know," Gojo drawled "I did buy this for everyone, not just me."

A tiny hand reached for one of the containers.

"Ah-" the hand was slapped away. "You gotta ask first, Megumi!"

The young boy snarled at him before ducking under his arm and stealing the food from him.

"Or, maybe you don't!" "That was impressive, honestly, I mean you're pretty fast for a little punk-"

"Thank you."

Satoru gazed at the boy sitting beside him. "You don't have to thank me, Megumi, it's just food."

"Not talking about the food." The child mumbled.

Gojo was confused. "Then what are you-"

"Thank you, Gojo." "For staying."