12. My Gratuitous Anger

"I can't believe it!" I shout out for the hundredth time and Asher takes a deep irritated breath. Our ride, a helicopter we got on after the plane, lands on the villa, made into a mountain.

I step onto the cavernous helipad which I presume is the roof of the villa and top of the mountain. I swiftly scan the area. My gaze halts at the end of the pavement where stairs descend, and then veer over to the view before me. The scorching sun seems most unforgivable as it blazes down at me like I'm fish to be fried. But the cold surges of winds make up for it. I close my eyes for a second and admire the freshness.

"You're blocking the line. Scurry along," Asher says and pokes my back.

My eye three-sixty a barrel roll. I walk ahead and my mouth runs along with me, "Don't get lost, Cherauno. No one will suspect if you were to never come back from these woods."

Behind me he chuckles. "I've been coming here since I was five. It would be highly suspicious," he informs.

My gaze narrows. Asher doesn't speak and runs down the descending stairs.

I follow after and to the stairs that meet with a bridge like path that seems to be hanging with the support of ten metal chains. I gape at the view the clear glass sides provide. Right is all rocks and trees. The left, however, gives a hint as to how high up the ground we are.

I look around, eyes wide in amazement as we pass and step inside-It is as spacious as outside but still seems to portray the cozy vibe. The front gives a panoramic view of the whole place. Peaks kiss up to the sky in a distance. Their tops covered in snow or clouds. Multiple skylines overlap each other as if competing in a race and reaching for a sky that is so out of reach yet so close. I resist the urge to run and figure out if the glass is breakable or not.

As if my body knows I would actually do it, my gaze points doors to the balcony on my right. With a childishly excited squeak I fly open the glass doors and run outside. A humming gust of glacial yet warm wind caresses my face. I run to the edge. I take in a deep breath, fresh air greets my lungs. I let it out reluctantly and spread my arms along the metal railing. The breezes dance through my hair and rattle around the place with elegance but excitement.

"You really act like a kid, huh?" Asher's jeering tone gives his identity away, as usual.

"What's the point in acting like an adult when you're having fun?" I ask, clamping my eyes shut in front of the pristine valley.

When I don't get a mocking answer I turn around to find him lost in thought. His eyes are set on me but not really looking. He seems lost in thought, like instead of a peaceful valley there's a space battle going on in front of him.

I wave a hand and he snaps out of his trance with a few blinks. "Why, you got lost in my beauty?" I laugh, content with my shot.

His smile extends. "I was just wondering."

Somehow I get a weird feeling about what's to come but I still ask, "About what?"

"About what happened if y—"

"Wait" —I raise my hands— "I don't want to know," I say and get away from the edge, all of a sudden chary of him. I don't have trust issues; he has a distrustful aura.

"I wasn't going to push you off or anything. It'll be too boring to watch," he says.

"Gee, real assuring."

Despite the indirect exchange of life threats between us, we fall into a not awkward but not really comfortable either silence. Asher gazes at the valley at hand, a faint smile stretches across his face. Light simpers against his skin so gold but so pale. Wind surges through his hair and the light brown glistens gold in the sunlight.