8. Honeymoon For One, Yes?

"I'll see you in a month, Eda." Doctor Helen's voice comes as heavily coated with sweet. It makes me wonder if she put on some kind of voice filter on the call, for I do not remember her being so soft spoken.

"Yes?" My voice comes out a question.

"Oh, almost forgot. I heard Mrs. Brown's appointment is still on you."

"Yes, Dr. Helen," I answer.

She sighs and I can bet she's rubbing the bridge of her nose by habit. "It's on Friday, Eda. I know how enthusiastic you are about Mrs. Brown's case, but see if it truly fits your fill. Dr. Kaitlyn can handle it," she says.

"It's her last checkup. I want to be the one to do it. I'll ask to postpone the—" I take a pause to digest the nauseating word. "—the honeymoon."

"Alright. I like the energy. Most newlyweds try to cancel their schedules."

I laugh nervously. Her praise doesn't feel as good due to the void of information: I'm married to a workaholic maniac who I only talk to argue. "Thank you."

"Goodbye and again have a nice honeymoon." She hangs up.

I stare at my cellphone in horror, wondering when she became so considerate of personal lives.
Something is definitely off.
I don't ponder it for long. Not with another straining task ahead of me: I have to see him.

A few minutes later I find myself pacing in front of Asher's office—or more specifically the enormously gigantic doors that look like they lead to a dragon's lair—and contemplating whether to go in or not.

I finally decide to not even knock and barge in. The spacious room takes me by surprise for a second. Wooden shelves cover the right wall while the left is clear between the eye and garden. Asher stands aside the wide desk opposite to the door with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, collar undone and his hair ruffled. He looks a complete a mess as he talks to someone on a cellphone, types away on a laptop rhythmically and occasionally reads a document—All at the same time.

My brows elevate in surprise. "Multitasking," I say.

Asher looks at me. I open my mouth again but stop when he raises his hand. I scoff at the action and rest my hands on my hips at an attempt to seem impatient. Which I most definitely am.

After a few exchanges with the person on call he hangs up, scribbles something on a paper, sits down on his chair and turns his attention to me. "Yes?"

I reflexively assume he's back to Grumpy mode and watch him for a while in complete silence and only speak when he raises an eyebrow, gesturing me to state my affairs and then get out.

"I have an appointment on Friday. I know I took a vacation but it's been schedule since two months," I say, not leaving anything to later explanations.

Asher's raised eyebrows drop down in a frown. "So?" he asks.

"Well can we leave next week." I make sure there's no question for permission in my voice.

His frown intensifies further, genuinely confused. "Where?"

I tilt my head in a 'do I have to spell it out?' way. When he doesn't react I sigh. "On the honeymoon," I enunciate with visible disgust.

Realization dawns so clearly on his face when he takes a deep breath and mutters under his breath, "Forgot about that."

I scowl. "I'm not pumped either." And plop down on his couch, noticing this will be a long conversation—maybe. "So you're going as well?" I raise a brow and make it obvious I'm not content with the thought.