03

Eddie stood in his maroon graduation gown, his cap atop his head. He stood near Ben because their last names were close and they didn't have very many people in their class. Beverly wasn't too far from them and kept sending them excited grins and brushing her hair out of her face.

Mike was in the crowd because he was homeschooled, but he was cheering and taking pictures of his friends. He'd finished packing the van earlier in the day while his friends got ready for graduation. They planned on leaving later that night after the small reception at the Uris house with all of the families that would show.

Richie, Ben, and Bill's parents had sworn that they wouldn't tell the others about the teenagers' plans to move. They knew that the others wouldn't approve, but the losers were adults and their parents couldn't technically stop them, but they could make it difficult.

Mike's grandparents also knew and they were excited that he was forming his own path, so no one was worried they'd sell the group out.

Eddie turned and saw Richie and Stan talking- well, it looked like Richie was talking and Stan wanted to slit his friend's throat. Eddie and Richie made brief eye contact and Richie winked. Eddie turned away, his face bright red.

"Edward Kaspbrak," the announcer bellowed, and Eddie stood and crossed the stage to receive his diploma.

He stood for a picture next to the principal and saw all of his friends grinning from ear to ear. When he sat down, he watched Beverly cross the stage, along with his other friends.

Richie was announced as valedictorian (reluctantly by the principal) and all of the losers stood up and cheered even though they were supposed to stay seated.

"Am I supposed to give a speech?" Richie announced into the microphone.

The principal sighed. "Don't feel inclined to."

"Oh, I feel very inclined to," Richie proclaimed, clearing his throat. "I didn't practice this shit, but I'm definitely going to fucking swear. What're you going to do, expel me?"

The principal shot him a deadly look.

"Okay, sorry. Uh, good job guys. We graduated even though most of us have almost been killed by Henry Bowers' stupid gang several times. Only reason I'm actually saying it is because the idiot got held back again and wasn't allowed to come to graduation. Thank you to all of the teachers who let us suck up- some of us literally - to them in order to pass. We're all going to amount to nothing according to Principal Green here, but I managed to be valedictorian so anything is possible I guess. Have fun in Hell, bitches. See you all at the reunion in twenty years."

The losers stood up and cheered once again, as did the others in the class. None of the staff or parents cheered, but Eddie could see both of Richie's parents watching him with a proud smile.

Principal Green ended the ceremony after reading off the last few names and the group of teenagers met up for pictures.

"Did you know you were giving a speech?" Eddie asked Richie, and the taller boy just smirked. "You totally prepared that shit."

"I plead the fifth."

"Congrats!" Mike called, running over and hugging all of them. "I'm so happy for all of you!"

"Come on, let's go before Eddie's mom finds him and suffocates him in front of the whole class," Richie said, grabbing Eddie's arm and dragging him to Mike's truck.

They all sat in the back, except for Stan who sat in the front to keep Mike company.

Eddie knew his mother would never approve of him sitting in the back of the truck without a seatbelt (not to mention that the back was rusty as all hell) but he could not find it in him to care. Soon he'd be away from her suffocating house and with his best friends.