O N E

🍃March 11

Flipping open the cigarette box, I curse when I see that it's empty. I dress up to go out. 

On the way to the store, I see the skating rink and I pause. 

I have to go there, not buy more cigarettes. I should stop. 

I don't. I end up walking to the store and buying two packs of cigarettes.  

I decide to drop by the rink anyway and see what Jimin is doing. 

I'm back here. Jimin is finishing up. I'm late today. But the doors swing open seconds after I enter. 

Once again, my eyes fall on you. Your bracelet has violet beads. 

Can you see it too?

I don't want to know. Not now. 

"Please, Sana. Stop asking me every day," you plead. 

You walk right past me while I zone out. You smell fresh and sharp, like grapefruit and lemons and oranges. Citrusy.  

"Wanna try skating, Tae?" Jimin calls out. 

I turn to him, shaking my head. 

"No, thank you."

I've tried before. It's safe to say I will never get back on the ice again. 

"Come on," he says.

He jogs to the coach who just entered with you. You awkwardly retreat from the conversation, taking your usual seat. 

"Come on, Tae," Jimin repeats, "We have permission for this side of the rink."

I don't really have much to do other than going home to stare at walls. And Jimin probably wants to relieve stress as there's a competition this Sunday. 

I might as well serve as comedic relief.

I end up agreeing. Jimin leaves to rent a pair of skates from a nearby store. 

You're looking at me. I can tell. 

When I turn, your eyes are on me, but not really. They're unfocused. You're across from me, on the opposite side. 

I stare back because I end up thinking too much again. Just like you, I look at you, but not quite. 

To others, it might have looked romantic but it wasn't anywhere close. I had a lot on my mind. 

And I bet you did too. 

"Tae?"

"Huh?"

"Looking at Y/N?" Jimin asks. 

He wiggles his eyebrows like a dork and I huff. 

"I didn't notice," I reply. 

He furrows his eyebrows in concern and hands me the shoes. Once I'm done, I grab onto Jimin's hands. 

"You're going to cut off my blood circulation," he giggles. 

"S-Shut up."

I stiffen as my foot lands on the ice. I engulf him into an inconvenient hug as both of my feet skid a little. He grunts, trying his best to support my weight. 

"We'll both crash if you do this."

He tries to move away but I cling to him, shaking my head. It's pretty embarrassing. 

"No, no, no," I panic, "I will slip and die."

"I'm having a hard time holding our weight now," he groans. 

He unwraps my arms from around himself, holding me upright. 

"First things first, look up," he says. 

I do as he says, averting my attention from my shaky legs. 

"Now, we'll see if you can stand."

It takes a solid fifteen minutes just to stand. And that too, after a lot of awkward stumbling. Once I can stand without the floor sliding out underneath me, I grin at Jimin. 

He flashes me a thumbs up. 

Absentmindedly, I look behind him. 

You're smiling at me.