T H R E E

🍃March 16

I think I'm at my worst on this particular day. Is it because I had forgotten to remove the reminder that it's our second anniversary? 

I wonder if she remembers. 

Is she thinking about me? Like I am thinking of her? 

I'm out of cigarettes again. I really don't want to get out, though. 

My phone flashes with a call. It's Jimin. 

"Hey," I croak. 

 I clear my throat. My speech is already hard to understand as my voice is so deep. I can't have it getting rougher. 

"I haven't heard you for a few days," Jimin accuses. 

"Uh... I've been busy."

I lazily kick away an empty soda can that's within reach of my foot. 

My room looks exactly what girls imagine before entering any boy's room, minus the porn magazines. 

The internet's there for that. 

"Busy with what, exactly?" Jimin asks. 

"Umm," I hesitate, "Work."

"Bullshit," he snaps, "You don't even have a job."

That reminds me. I have to go job-hunting before I deplete all the money I've saved. 

"Fine," I sigh, "I'm doing nothing at home."

"I'm coming over."

"Wait!"

He hangs up. 

I panic as I look at the mess. It smells like smoke and pizza in here. I hastily clean up whatever I can, grabbing an air freshener. 

The last thing I want is for him to know I smoke. 

The doorbell rings just as I set the air freshening spray down. 

"Hey," I greet Jimin nervously. 

He sniffs the air. 

"It smells like lavender," he comments. 

"Yeah. I like things clean, so..."

He pushes past me, eyes narrowing at the can. 

"Don't think you can hide from me, Tae," he says, poking my chest, "I know what you do."

"What do I do?" I mutter. 

He takes something out of his pocket. My heart almost stops as I see the familiar pack. 

I try to grab it from him, but he pulls back. 

"I found this in the rink the day before the competition. I didn't know whose it was, and my coach saw me with it, so she scolded me. Y/N stepped in and said it was my friend's, as in yours."

You're a snitch, aren't you?

"It's not mine-"

"It is. She saw you smoking outside the rink once," he says, "She has no reason to lie."

"What if she does have a reason?"

Jimin rolls his eyes. 

"Stop trying to divert the blame."

He frowns as he looks at the coffee table. 

I internally groan as I forgot the ashtray. 

It's not even empty to help my case. 

"Tae," he grabs my arm, "What's wrong? Just tell me. You haven't been yourself since-"

He stops himself. 

"Since Daphne, I know," I mumble. 

"You're not ruining yourself for someone who doesn't care."

Ouch. 

But he's right. She hasn't called once after she left. She hasn't even tried to check how I'm doing. 

"You need to stop, Taehyung. Get a job, quit smoking, get your life back on track. Even if Daphne's not here, I am. And your soulmate's out there too, waiting for you."

"She'll get a new one once I die."

"I will slap you," he hisses, "Now stop being a little bitch, and let's go out for ice cream."