Chapter 7: Friend or Foe

Ord Mantell was a simple planet in the Mid Rim Territories. Native to the Mantellian Savrip species, its terrestrial environment contained mountain chains and plains and Ord Mantell city sat right in the centre. The streets weren't as pleasant and rich as Coroscount but Orla enjoyed the secrecy of it all. She enjoyed how she fit into the planet's aesthetic; quiet, mysterious but also troublemaking. She knew the rules of Ord Mantell, don't talk to dealers on the street, go wandering down the alleyways, get lost, go to a cantina without buying something, talk about politics or trust people who carry blasters. these could all get you killed.

Orla made her credits when on Onderon. So she had plenty to pay for food and the essentials, which would last a few weeks if she rationed. She wouldn't need a supply run so she left her ship in one of the hanger bays and planned to stop by an old friend. She dangled her legs at the edge of a balcony, taking several handfuls of nuts from a clay bowl. She didn't think to eat at Cut and Suu's so she was paying the price now instead. Keeping her poncho covering the top part of her face, her eyes strolled down to the busy streets below her. It was quiet but the sun had only gone up, nobody was out so early. The bad Batch still hadn't seen the homing beacon so she was able to track them to Saleucami, but where were they now? Still located on the Ordo moon. Why would they go to a moon full of energy-eating creatures? By the end of the same day, they were travelling through hyperspace and Orla planned on meditating; finding out where they would go next.

A tooka-cat strolled up to her as she enjoyed the last of her nuts. She let the creature snuggle into her lap and purr as she stroked its smooth long white ears and its thick tail. Yet, it was ested in food as its nose lingered towards the food. Its paw slowly reached into the bowl until Orla bopped it on the nose.

"Hey, snippy! That's mine." Orla brought the bowl closer to her chest and the cat continued to wave its paw around. She glared her eyes and it stopped but only to lower its head and gave a sweet cat-eyed look.

"Alight, alright," she gave in, "you can have one, and only one."

The cat licked the nut from her palm gently and let out a playful purr. Orla found it stronage how the cat was so excited hto ave just one piece of food until she felt around the cat's stomach while stroking it and realised she could feel its ribs.

"Poor thing, bet you haven't been fed in days," she picked up the cat's body and cradled it in her arms. In response, the cat snuggled in and purred, drifting off to sleep.

♫ ♫

"Come on snippy, let's go." Shoving the last handful of nuts into her mouth, she pulled the poncho's hood over her head. Balancing on the roof's edge, she waited for a quieter area to jump all the way down to the cold concrete of Ord Mantell. With her faith in theforce, her poncho settled as soon as her feet made contact with the solid pavement.

Orla flicked her hood over her face as she pursued to a cantina. It ran by a human species who before worked for the Naboo Royal Security Forces under Padmé Amidala's reign. Her husband passed away from a deadly disease while her son was force sensitive and taken by the Jedi and she never saw him again. Zelda tried to contact her son but the message never reached them due to the cruel rule against Jedi speaking to their family members because of "attachments." She never got to tell her son what happened to his father and now she never will. Orla couldn't wrap her head around that this boy will live the rest of his life not knowing his dad is gone. But could that be a good thing? Orla believed in the Jedi's teachings but people like Zelda made her question it.

Orla didn't expect to see Zelda preparing the bar ready so early in the morning. The last time she visited it was always Orla waking her up and forcing her out of bed. Orla had surprised her the night before as soon as she arrived on Ord Mantell, she had hoped she could let her know gently about what happened in the temple but she already knew from Palpatine's speech. She took the news surprisingly well, either she had already accepted the fate that she was never going to see her son again or she was very good at hiding her grief. A bit of both perhaps.