5

Y/N knew that she shouldn't really be up here, much less all by herself. But some days she just needed some time to herself, some time to think. Sometimes she needed to get a glimpse of the world that was above the underground. The world that she was missing out on, but that she could get a tiny look at. It felt relieving and depressing at the same time, if she was honest.

Still, sitting out here at night and looking up at the night sky, seeing all the stars shining brightly - it put things into perspective. It made Y/N feel small, but in a good way. Nothing she really did mattered. If she died or if she survived - it didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. As long as she could get at least a glimpse of all the greatness that was out there.

And the best way she could do that was by lying in this little cavern and looking out through the iron grid that was blocking her from entering the world above. Looking out into the universe. Y/N wondered what was out there. Not just inside the walls, but outside those massive walls that were supposed to keep everyone safe. What was there? Sure, there was probably the sea somewhere...

She had read about it... She had read about forests made up of giant trees, too. Sandy deserts that it was easy to get lost in. There were islands in the world out there, little pieces of land that were completely surrounded by water. There were the strangest plants and animals out there, too. Y/N wished she could see all of it, but unfortunately she probably wouldn't even make it uo to the surface during her lifetime. The best she could hope for was to live through the books she was reading.

It was alright for her. For now. She wasn't sure how long it would still be enough, though, especially because there were a lot of books and a lot of secrets still to be discovered. Y/N wanted to see all of it and she'd have to sneak up to the surface somehow to get those books. She wasn't sure how she was going to do it yet, but Levi would probably help her if she asked. Or he'd tell her not to do it. Not to risk her life over something like that. Levi was always trying to look out for her.

Even now. Y/N didn't know how she knew he was there, but she just felt it. She had heard someone approaching earlier, but she never really felt threatened by whoever was walking up to her quietly. It had to be Levi. Y/N was always alarmed by the slightest noise, but she knew exactly what Levi's footsteps sounded like and as soon as she recognized them, she relaxed. Over the years, it had become something that was happening completely subconsciously.

"Aren't you cold out here or something?" she heard Levi asking. From the sound of his voice he had to be standing right behind her when he said that. Y/N turned around, looking up at him. His grey eyes were fixed on her and he didn't look particularly worried. More troubled than anything.

"Nah, I'm fine. Why, you worried about me?" Y/N joked. Levi huffed mockingly and sat down beside her.

"Not my problem if your dumb ass freezes to death. I'm not going to take care of you, if you get sick, by the way."

"Wasn't expecting you to."

"Good. Just wanted to make sure, brat"

"Of course."

They both just sat next to each other, leaning back and looking up into the night sky. Y/N was surprised that Levi seemed worried enough to actually go and look for her. She wondered what that was about. Normally he seemed to be thinking that she was fairly self-reliant.

Y/N knew that he cared very deeply about his friends, even if he didn't show it much. It would be weird if he showed how much he cared, it just wouldn't be like Levi at all. He showed that he cared in his own way. By coming out here and checking in on Y/N, for example.

"What are you even doing out here?" he wanted to know after they had been silent for a while. Y/N glanced over at him, seeing him absentmindedly looking up at the grid separating them from the world above.

"Just needed a bit of quiet time. It's nice looking up at the stars." she told him. Levi didn't say anything for a while, almost as if he was mulling it over. They were having this conversation almost every time they met out here and they always seemed to reach the same conclusion: The world was unfair.

"At least you're not drowning yourself in your own bathtub." he finally said. Y/N burst out laughing. Of all the things he could have said, she hadn't been expecting this, although she should have seen it coming.

"What, would you prefer it if I never bathed?" she asked. Levi's face looked shocked for just a second.

"Fuck, no. That'd be horrible. Please stay as clean as you possibly can. This place is dirty enough as is." he answered, chuckling a little. He was still kind of uncomfortable just thinking about it.

"Yeah, I thought so. Don't worry, I'll make sure I'm nice and clean at all times and smell like roses every second of the day." Y/N laughed.

"Not smelling like shit would actually be enough, but okay." Levi answered and put down a bottle of wine that he had been carrying between them. Y/N glanced down at it and raised her eyebrows.

"Special occasion today or something?" she wanted to know, This was some fancy stuff... Y/N had had it maybe once or twice in her life when someone had stolen some of it and either her uncle or Levi had gotten a hold of a bottle. For him to bring this out here to share with her and only her... well, Y/N would have almost thought it was a romantic gesture, if she hadn't been sure that Levi had no such intentions for her.

"Not really. Another day of having survived. Is that not special enough for you?" he replied. Y/N smiled.

"I guess it's pretty special, considering the circumstances. Do you wanna do the honours?" Y/N said, nodding towards the bottle. Levi sighed, a slight smile forming on his lips, as he picked up the bottle again and opened it. He probably remembered how utterly useless Y/N was at opening wine bottles.

"There you go. You get the first sip." he said to her, handing her the open bottle. Y/N held it up to her nose, smelling the fruity and slightly tangy aroma of the wine, before taking a long swig from it and handing it back to Levi. It tasted amazing. Y/N was usually more fond of beer, but this was one beautiful wine.

"Like it?" Levi asked, before taking a sip from the bottle as well. Y/N leaned back, resting on her elbows.

"I love it. Where do you even get this stuff, Levi?" she wanted to know. Levi shrugged and handed the bottle back to her.

"Just... here and there. I guess knowing the right people helps. The kind of people that know ways up to the surface and all." he told her.

"Up to the surface? Do you... do you know how to get there?"

"Maybe."

"Levi..."

"No. You're not going there. It's dangerous. You're going to get killed and then your uncle will be after me. You're not going to the surface... yet." he said. Y/N narrowed her eyes at him. What did he mean, yet?

"When am I going to the surface?" she wanted to know. Levi paused and looked up at the stars, before sighing and looking back at her. His eyes looked even more piercing than before.

"Soon. You'll know when." he finally said.

"Levi, you know I need to get those books back..." she replied. He nodded, cradling the bottle of wine in his hand.

"I know... I know. I don't get why you're so obsessed with them, but I guess everyone has something that drives them. I'll help you as much as I can, but we have to do this smartly. Okay?"

"Okay. Fine." Y/N replied, even though she wasn't quite happy with that. She wanted to know what was going on. She needed to know. But it seemed like Levi wasn't going to tell her. At least not yet.

"One more thing. Don't go home tonight. Stay at our hideout, with Farlan and Isabel." he told her, before handing the bottle back to her and getting up. Y/N eyed him suspiciously. What the hell was going on?

"Why?"

"Just trust me on this okay? Stay at the hideout and don't go home. You can get back there in the morning, just... don't go there tonight."