Epilogue

Y/N wasn't sure where she was once she opened her eyes. It wasn't anything like the real world. It was very different. She wasn't in any pain anymore, she wasn't really feeling any sensations. And it felt like time was passing... differently. Not really faster or slower, but more like it just didn't matter anymore.

The next thing she thought of was Levi and then she was right there and she could see him. She could see him running through the streets and to her house and bending over her dead body and screaming and wailing in absolute agony, while he was trying to talk to her. She really wanted to tell him that it was okay and that she was still here, but she understood that she wasn't really there.

She was in some sort of afterlife and she couldn't really talk to anyone. She could only watch, as if she was in some strange different dimension. Well, she probably was. She wasn't sure what exactly this was. But she knew that she could feel something still - she felt pain. She felt so much pain over Levi hurting this much over her. But she couldn't do anything to help it.

"It's okay... Levi, it's okay... It'll all be fine, please..." she kept saying, but it wasn't reaching anyone. So she just had to watch. She had to watch him be miserable, watch him stay in bed and sleep all day. It felt like torture, like some sort of hell. She was wondering if it would ever end.

But then slowly things changed. He was getting better. And by proxy, Y/N was getting better, too. She was starting to learn how this afterlife worked. She was able to talk to people that she wanted to talk to and that wanted to talk to her. She was able to talk to her parents again and it was amazing. It was amazing to finally get to know them properly after all this time thinking about them.

And she was able to watch whoever she wanted to watch in the real world, as long as she was thinking of them. She was thinking of Levi a lot. She saw Levi getting better and it made her happy, too. She saw him looking out for Farlan and Isabel, she saw him continuing to take care of everyone who needed it. It was a beautiful thing to watch. She also saw him looking at her note occasionally and over time he was thinking of her more fondly, more happily.

She watched him get chased by the military police and she felt almost sick to the stomach, but then it turned out to be the Survey Corps instead and they were trying to get him to join the Corps. It was a plot to get to someone else, as it turned out and Levi got caught up in it somehow.

Y/N was devastated when she saw Farlan and Isabel dead, killed by Titans in some awful, terrible fog. She was scared for Levi whenever he went outside the walls after that. She regretted telling him that she wanted him to see the world out there, but there he was. A member of the Survey Corps. And he was good at what he was doing. He didn't enjoy it as such, but helping to find out more about the world around them and about the Titans seemed like something that made him happy.

It had made Y/N happy a while ago, too. Until she had actually learned the truth about what was going on out there. She hoped that it would be better for Levi. After all, he had the support of an entire army on his side. Y/N only had herself before she died. It was very different.

Maybe they would have all been better off joining the survey corps at some point, but it didn't even seem like an option at the time. Y/N was glad that Levi was happy, however. And so were Farlan and Isabel. Watching Levi, she got so intimately acquainted with his comrades in the Survey Corps... many of them died in the years that followed and most of them she could talk to after and slowly, over time, she had a lot of people she could relate to and talk to.

But what made her happiest was that every time Levi looked up at the night sky and every time he was riding on a horse through a thick forest or through some wide grasslands, he was thinking of her. She could feel it - she could feel any time anyone was thinking of her, but there weren't really many people that would be thinking of her. Levi was the only one, really. But she was glad that he did. She was glad that after all this time he still remembered her.