Chapter 6

'Chief,' Hamish Finn one of her young trusted warriors, drew her attention.

'What is it Hamish?' she smiled.

'I bring bad news,' he scratched his head hesitantly.

'Let me have it,' she sighed.

'The boundary wall on the east side, is showing deep cracks. It must be fixed immediately.'

'You got a list for me?'

He scratched his head again. 'I'm going to work it out for you Chief, but we must get the materials today.'

She nodded. 'Take some men and see to it. I will get Iona to sign it off.'

'Yes Chief,' he grinned 'and I will get you some of that cream toffees, you like.'

'It's been a while since I had some. I've almost forgotten how good it tastes,' she smiled back.

The next evening Grisell was all excited to see Eskine. She could not wait for midnight. Just before supper, she'd showered and put on an old weather worn dress and tied up her hair. She'd taken supper with Gadd. They'd laughed, had much wine. He had reminisced of the days when she was young, impressionable and pliable. Grisell wondered if he was talking about her or some imaginary character. From the second she had been born, she'd had a wilful mind of her own.

'I think you have had too much wine Uncle Gadd. I can hardly identify with the girl you speak of.'

He laughed heartily. 'She became a beautiful lady, who is ready for marriage.'

'Now you have just spoilt the evening. You are dismissed. Good night.'
She stood up and indifferently walked to her quarters, without giving him a backward glance. She attended to some paperwork from Iona and read some documents of projects some of the ladies wanted her to give attention to. It was about eleven pm when Grisell decided she would go out to wait for Eskine. She changed into a pair of dark pants, a dark cloak and slipped away through her back door. To her amazement, Eskine was there, on the grass, laying on his back.

'You're here already,' she whispered.

'And you've arrived an hour earlier,' he grinned, standing up.

'My uncle was annoying me,' she sighed, hating that she would eventually have to choose a husband from her clan.

'Anything I can help with?' he offered.

'No.' She shook her head, avoiding his eyes.

'Would you like to sit,' he invited.

Grisell squatted onto the ground, resting her elbows on either side of her. 'I wish I could take a holiday,' she smiled. 'Go and see another country.'

'Why don't you?' He smiled, sitting opposite her.

'For one, my father is ill. I need to be here for him. Secondly, I'm afraid I may face a coup in my absence.'

Eskine laughed. 'You. Facing a coup. I hardly doubt anybody would challenge the most feared and revered Chief of the Dalmahoy.

She laughed. 'You know something I don't?'

'Well, I have it on good authority, that all your men fear you. I have been reliably informed, the only man who boldly dares to challenge you, is your father. Even Gadd, I believe, is not confident, that he will win a duel against you.'

'Where the hell did you hear this nonsense!' she laughed.

'Men talk freely, when a little imbibed.'

She didn't want to know, how he came to hear this kind of information.