Epilogue

Dedicated to @mayang04  Thank you for being my most interactive reader. 🤗
**************************

Thirteen months later ...

Eskine paced up and down outside the bedroom door. He raked his hand through his hair a hundred times, waiting in anticipation. His heart was beating wildly out of control, his lungs felt constricted.

'Sit down!' Udny chuckled. 'You are going to make holes in the floor!'

Eskine narrowed his eyes at his father in law. 'How can you be so calm? I need to be with my wife! I need to know she is doing okay,' he almost sobbed.

'She is strong,' Udny grinned. 'You are weak! You will be no help to her in there.'

'I know what you are trying to do Udny Blane!' Eskine pointed an accusing finger at his father in law. 'Do not for a second ___'

And just then, Eskine heard the most wonderful, melodious sound and burst into the room and went running to his wife.

'Chief DeMartino! You should not be in here!' the midwife protested, as she quickly covered Grisell up.

'Darling! Are you okay?' There were tears unashamedly streaming down Eskine's face. He kissed her lips and cupped her face.

Grisell smiled euphorically. She looked tired. Her face was all clammy, with dark shadows under her eyes, but she gazed into her husband's eyes with adoration, as she held their baby against her chest.

'We have a baby girl,' Grisell whispered to him.

'Darling, I am delighted,' he hugged his wife as carefully as he could and gently took his baby into his arms.

'Chief DeMartino!' The midwife exclaimed with indignation. 'You are not allowed in here!'

Eskine smiled down into his baby's face. She was making adorable sucking noises. Her stormy grey eyes opened and she stared at her papa. He looked up at the midwife, still smiling.

'I am the Chief! There is nowhere I am not allowed. Have you completed the clean-up on my wife?' he enquired, courteously.'

'Not yet,' she squirmed with embarrassment.

He smiled broadly at his wife. 'May I take baby outside to meet grandpa?'

'I need to feed her darling.'

Eskine looked at his beautiful baby girl. Her eyes were closed. She looked calm and relaxed. 'I shall bring her back in a minute,' he kissed his wife's lips. 'Go ahead,' he instructed the midwife. 'Complete your task. I shall leave you to it.' Eskine cradled his baby in his arms and went outside to introduce her to her eager grandpa, waiting outside.

'Chief Dalmahoy, your husband should not have been in here. It is no place for a man!'

Grisell laughed proudly. She was beaming. Her eyes shone like the night sky full of stars. 'It is okay,' Rhuda.' Grisell chuckled softly. 'There are some instances, when my husband just does not listen.'

'I do not believe a word of that,' the midwife darted a disbelieving look at Grisell as she was cleaning her up with warm water and soap. 'You have that man wrapped around your little finger. Everybody knows he cannot say no to you.'

Grisell sighed delightedly. I know he is an amazing husband. I love him so. Thank you so much for delivering my baby Rhuda.'

The midwife smiled with pride. 'I expected you to use one of your own midwifes. Thank you for trusting me. You were so brave and an excellent patient. I wanted to medicate your husband, even though he was not the patient!'