Chapter 3 - The true battle

Northeast park

Two hours since the invasion began

The invasion is a success. Thousands of savages have been purged and dozens captured. Not as frightening as the vision said, but the description holds true. These are the pale skin. Strangely, some of them have very dark skin and some even have skin as brown as a dwarf's. Strange indeed. Most men were taller than elves and rosians but not as tall as an orc.

"Excellent.", Ylindar said as he observed the captives being sent through the rift, "They will be fine specimens for studying. We must find their weakness."

The 'humans', as they called themselves, resisted but fell in line eventually. The smaller ones cried and called out their parents. It made the rosians present sick. One of the woman broke the line and ran to Ylindar. "Please! Stop this! Why are you doing this? Who are you?", she said through tears and shaking breaths.

Ylindar slapped her, causing her to fall to the ground. "Silence you wench! You are not worthy of being in my presence, let alone speak to me. Take her!". Soldiers hoisted her up and dragged her towards the others.

"You monsters!", yelled a man, "You will pay for this! You will all die her-". Before he could say more, Ylindar pierced his chest with his sword. Then he turned to the rest of the captives, "Any more of you savages wiling to test me?"

"Stop!", yelled the rosian captain present, "I demand you give us our share now."

Ylindar raised an eyebrow to that, "Your share?"

"Yes. We fought, pillaged and brought captives. We did what you asked and now it is your turn to keep your end of the deal."

This made Ylindar chuckle, but he would humor the young rosian, "Very well. We are an honorable empire after all. You may choose ten captives and split them amongst yourselves."

"Ten?"

"Yes. Take them now before I change my mind."

The captain faced the captains. In truth, he wanted to save the weak and innocent ones from suffering, but he couldn't save them all. He pointed to them one by one, picking out the children and elderly first as well as a woman with child and strong tall man who fought against the ferals and dwarves. Perhaps he could give them some insight.

"You over exceed rosian. I said ten.", said Ylindar.

"This is ten people."

"She counts as two.", he said as he pointed to the pregnant woman.

"She is with child. That is unfair."

"And what will you do about it?"

The captain stuttered. He wanted to save her but it would mean dooming another life. What was he to do? He cursed Ylindar internally. Honorable? Horse shit.

"Leave me.", said the tall human, "Leave me behind and take her. Please." The captain was stunned, to say the least.

"Excellent", said Ylindar, "It appears you can bring them all. Enjoy your spoils.". With that he left. The woman thanked the tall man who then grabbed the captain by the arm and looked him in the eyes. "If anything happens to her, I will hold you responsible.", he said.

The captain nodded, "You have my word, warrior.". The man was dragged to the elven slave lines and pushed through the rift.

Ylindar was sitting at his desk writing a letter to the troops on the other side, saying how the invasion was a success and a foothold has been established. Handing the letter to a messenger he got up and walked to observe his army. Ten thousand elves, all gathered in a barbaric land to bring civilization. He looked up in the sky and saw the wyverns flying through the air. As he looked at them he didn't feel proud, he felt confused. There were too few of them. He brought fifty wyverns, which is half of an army's corps. Now there were less than two dozen. How?