cracking open a cold one with the boys

kuroo pov.

🐈‍⬛NEKOMA BOYZ 🐈‍⬛

yamamoto
lunch tmrw?

yaku
anything but yakisoba buns 🤢

kenma
can't.

yamamoto
booooo u whore

kuroo
that wasn't very cash money of you, taketora

lev
i'm in!!

kuroo
i'll ask my secretary to cancel my lunch plans

yaku
the old one or the new one?

kuroo
new

lev
is she pretty??

yamamoto
uhhh,,,

yaku
she cleans up nice

kenma
we've met her before, lev.

kuroo
woman of my dreams 😍

yamamoto
n e wayz,,
yakisoba tmrw?

yaku
make it udon and i'm down

yamamoto
ugh
fine

* * * * * * * * * * *

"isn't it rude to bring food from other places into another restaurant?" yaku asked as he flipped his tie over his shoulder and rolled up his sleeves.

yamamoto shrugged, opening the plastic wrapping of the bun he'd bought from the corner store. although he was currently eating a yakisoba bun, i knew that his bottomless pit of a stomach would have enough room for a hefty bowl of udon right after it. how he hasn't suffered from heartburn, an ulcer, or indigestion remains a mystery.

"why don't you like yakisoba buns?" yamamoto questioned yaku around a mouthful of carbohydrates.

if this man choked right now, i would walk away. there's no way that i would waste my first time performing CPR–after formally learning it from a source other than a korean drama–on yamamoto. besides, why would i do that when he 1) brought it upon himself and 2) has stinky garlic yakisoba bun-breath?

"there's almost no nutritional value to it," yaku rolled his eyes as he thanked the waitress for the food.

i unbuttoned my cuffs, rolling up my sleeves as i tossed my tie over my shoulder like yaku had. i flashed the waitress my classic award-winning smile as she hurriedly left the table, afraid i was going to steal her innocence. using my chopsticks, i mixed the noodles, vegetables, and meat together. i took the spoon, ladling some broth to my mouth. i exhaled loudly, refreshed.

"where's lev?" i asked, looking to yaku.

"running late," sluuurp, "shoot went over, had to stay longer." a longer sluuuurp. "he should be here any moment," yaku said between noisy sips of broth.

i nodded in acknowledgement. i continued to enjoy my noodles as yamamoto fought against the forces of nature to avoid experiencing a near-death experience via choking. seriously, if this man next to me chokes, i'm not performing cpr–or, i guess, the heimlich maneuver to be more accurate. 'but if (y/n) was next to me...' i glanced over at yamamoto, '...that would be a completely different story.'

"sorry i'm late!" lev bowed his head before taking the seat across from me. "my girlfriend forgot her keys this morning, so i had to drop those off too."

"girlfriend?" yamamoto and yaku asked in unison, staring at lev with their mouths open.

i smirked, leaning forward and raising an eyebrow. "she cute?"

lev nodded enthusiastically, fumbling around for his phone before pulling it out. he swiped to a picture of (y/n) and him standing under some cherry blossoms. the photo was clearly taken by someone else, considering the placement of their hands and height difference.

my jaw dropped open, body numb from seeing my new secretary standing next to my high school volleyball teammate. lev's hands were wrapped around her arm while (y/n) had her hand on his chest. despite the slight-dead look in her eyes, the absolute joy in lev's eyes, like a dog happy to see his owner returned home, clearly screamed "RELATIONSHIP."

my chopsticks fell from my slack hands, splashing into the bowl of broth. it splattered everywhere, including my crisp white shirt. i cursed under my breath, trying to dab away the spots before the stains could set.

"(y/n) is your girlfriend?!" yamamoto shouted, drawing the attention of some nearby customers.

"she was my roommate for the last few months. we only started dating recently."

"who confessed?" i asked, genuinely curious. i wanted to know if she was the one who caught feelings first.

"i confessed. she just sort of said 'sure!' so i took her out."

"who would've thought the tall and obnoxious first year would be the first one of us with a girlfriend?" yaku teased.

"don't worry, yaku-san. you'll find someone eventually!" lev responded cheerfully.

i chuckled, then looked down at my shirt. i cursed again upon seeing the numerous small spots across the white. if she hadn't confessed, then i still stood a chance. especially considering how she looked in that photograph, so unenthused.

and so the lion fell in love with the lamb. or, in our case, the rooster pursued the clown? (whatever, it's a work in progress.)