aries, leo, sagittarius

it had been weeks since i had gotten iwaizumi's number.

we constantly exchanged texts–well, except for when we were at work. but sometimes, if we had the opportunity, we would sneak in an emoji or two to add some spiciness to the conversation. usually, mine were more random than his. a clown here, a rat there. (i have to keep him guessing, right? winky emoji.)

balancing an umbrella in the crook of my arm, i smiled down at my phone, typing away at a message for iwaizumi.

iwaizumi
any plans tonight?

me
maybe spaghetti, maybe chinese takeout
definitely netflix
you?

iwaizumi
avoiding shittykawa and maybe pizza

me
wanna come over?
lev left for paris last week and it's been too quiet

iwaizumi
i get to pick the movie

me
deal
plus oikawa will never find you here lol

iwaizumi
true

too engrossed in my phone, i wasn't watching where i was walking and bumped into a little fellow. he donned a brown inverness cape and a hat and pants to match. paired with a white shirt and matching long socks, he looked a bit like sherlock holmes. (or what i thought him to look like. i never saw him in person.)

my focus remained tied to my phone, smiling at iwaizumi's last message. the man talked in the background–i wasn't really paying attention–and then pulled out thick, dark frames.

he pointed a finger at me, catching my attention. 'what did this hipster want?' i briefly thought, annoyed, before he continued.

"i wouldn't go there if i were you. it'll be better for everyone involved if you don't cause a spark," he warned. opening his eyes, he met mine. a bright, striking green. pretty.

before i could ask any further, he disappeared along with the rain.

considering his words, i stared into the distance until it became fuzzy. shaking my head, i turned back to continue on my way to work. i didn't want to be late or the boss would kill me. obviously not literally, but i didn't want to find out what would happen if i was late, especially since he seemed to be assigning more work since christmas.

maybe it was because i had used HR as an excuse to reject him.

* * * * * * * * * * *

"(y/n)!" the shout came from kuroo's office, causing me to jump in my seat.

i hurried through the door, interlocking my fingers in front of me. standing with my head down, i felt like a child being scolded by a teacher for being disruptive in class. i glanced up at him through my eyelashes to find him angrily shaking a stack of papers at me.

"i told you to make fifty copies for the meeting today! not fifteen!"

i bowed lower with a muttered i'm sorry. my body shook with nerves, and i was suddenly an anxious chihuahua. i haven't felt like this since i first met azumane-senpai.

he noticed my discomfort, calming his tone accordingly. he stepped closer to me and handed me the stack of copies. running a hand through his hair, he sighed. i lifted my head to watch him. his shirt looked extra fine on him today. it stretched across his sculpted chest with that move. i couldn't help but bite my bottom lip a little as i followed his movements with my eyes.

damn. why did he have to be so attractive?

"please go make the other copies," he dismissed me, gesturing to the door. i bowed once again, walking out–almost jogging–to the copy room.

* * * * * * * * * * *

with such a rough start to the morning, i didn't even have a chance to check my email. i dropped my bag by my desk before setting off to the copy room. i put the original document into the slot and selected 50 for the number of copies.

in order to regain some favor from my boss, i decided to make coffee for when i deliver a job well done. walking into the break room, i pulled out his usual mug. i absently wondered why it said grandpa because he didn't seem that old, but i still couldn't figure it out despite this being my constant thought every time i had made him coffee.

the office had recently splurged for a new coffee maker–one of those fancy single-cup machines–which was a welcome new-year gift among many of the employees. i set the mug underneath, dropped a pod into the slot, and pressed start. knowing it would take a while, i walked back to check on the copies.

the machine continued its work, shaking violently with each new print. the air smelled smoky like a holiday barbeque on a hot summer's day. i breathed in the familiar scent, wondering about how my family was doing. 'i should give them a call later,' i decided.

as the copier flashed the number 39, i wandered back to the break room with leisure. i took in the sights and sounds around me, happy to be at home among my one true love (stationery and office supplies). pausing in the doorway, i heard someone call out down the hall.

"fire!"

my eyes widened, and i panicked. i looked around, cursing myself for not being able to remember the evacuation plan from my first week of training. i crouched down, covering my head as i tried to sort through my mental file folders for the one titled 'emergency evacuation.'

"(y/n)!" kuroo shouted from above me. he gripped my wrist, pulling me up, almost dragging me to the emergency exit. "let's go!"

i clung to his arm as we went down the stairs (and stairs and stairs...who builds an office on the fiftieth floor anyway?). making our way to the main lobby and out the front doors, i took in the blinking lights that signaled the fire department had already been called.

all that was left to do was wait.

kuroo's hand dropped into mine, squeezing it tightly. my other arm came up to wrap around his forearm as i looked up at my boss.

had the fire been my fault?

* * * * * * * * * * *

when the fire was finally out, a police officer walked forward. he pulled out his notebook, looking around until his eyes landed on me.

"i heard you were the last one in the copy room," he commented as he took in my nervous form, "you're looking awfully suspicious, miss."

i shook my head, whining softly as kuroo's grip tightened in my hand. he stepped forward a little, moving in front of me.

"she didn't do anything. it was probably electrical in nature, officer," he offered.

kuroo's boss came forward, brushing his suit down. he smoothed out invisible wrinkles and undid the top button of his suit jacket. as he glared at me, and then kuroo, we finally separated from one another. when kuroo let go of my hand, i held it in my other one, trying to retain some of the warmth.

"regardless," my boss's boss continued where the officer had left off, "since you were the last one in there, you will be suspended for two weeks without pay until this investigation concludes. effective immediately."

"but sir–" kuroo attempted to interject but was stopped by the man holding up his hand.

"my word is final," he said with a tone of finality. and with that, he walked away.

i nodded, hanging my head in shame. turning away from the building, i started making my way home. the words of the man from this morning came back to me at once, shortly followed by the realization that he had, in fact, been right.