girlboss gatekeep gaslight

i was typing furiously on my keyboard, eyebrows furrowed as i attempted to update the contracts that kuroo had walked me through this morning. i paused and ran a hand through my slightly greasy hair. i said i would do better today, but i had forgotten to wash my hair and therefore: greasy like an extra-cheesy pizza.

i glanced at my messages open in the background.

bitches, bros, and nonbinary hoes 🤠

yamamoto
YOU'RE DATING LEV?!!

noya
wait, when did we find that out
when did you find that out??

tanaka
YOU'RE DATING LEV?!

yamamoto
he told us at lunch

me
we just started dating chileeee

noya
but why didn't you tell us? :(

me
calm ur tits
we might not even last

yamamoto
i can't believe he picked u instead of some super model

me
rude
blocked
reported
unfriended
unsubscribed

i closed out of the window, continuing with my work as i rolled my eyes. i made a mental note to talk with lev about announcing our relationship to the world before i said it was okay. i thought we had agreed that this thing would be a one-month trial before committing to the full subscription.

but here he was! yelling from the rooftops that he was dating me. super attractive, unattainable, out-of-his-league me.

who was i kidding?

it was him that was completely out of my league. he was a king, and i...i was just a lowly court jester.

kuroo strolled back into the office, swinging a convenience store plastic bag. he had this huge, debased grin plastered across his face as he walked over to my desk. leaning against the adjacent wall, he plopped the bag down and gestured for me to open it. i pulled out the contents: an empty juice box, a litlat bar with the side bitten out, and a cold yakisoba bun that looked especially soggy. it seemed like it had sat on the store's shelf three weeks past its expiration date. it probably hadn't, but i wasn't about to risk food poisoning on my second day.

especially not when today was the day i would get to sit at the desk outside kuroo's office.

it was a nice desk: forty-seven inches of metal and glass, polished to shine and reflect. with a built-in filing cabinet and a new semi-private space from my boss, i couldn't wait to make a secret stash of some snacks and stationary that i'd purchase from the internet.

i was so amazed with the internet. with the click of a button, things could be delivered almost instantly to my doorstep. it felt like magic the first time i ordered something online. i remember it like it was only last week–but it wasn't. (i swear.) my first purchase had been a snuggly-wuggly (i didn't know they still made those!) and a "personal massager." i had ordered it on monday and, by wednesday, it was at my doorstep in discreet packaging.

i set the plastic aside and smiled as he walked across the room to his desk. he tossed his suit jacket across the back of his chair and opened a wardrobe-like door. as he loosened his tie, he moaned loudly as though the act brought him great comfort. with slow, methodical movements, he unbuttoned his shirt. when it slid from his shoulders, i could only stare in shock.

'how could he do this so freely with the windows open? what if someone saw him?' i thought, eyes still locked on his muscular back. he tilted his head back, and his eyes met mine. i saw his mouth pull into a small smirk from my periphery, eyes still locked onto his.