ꜰᴏᴜʀ

Letters Of Recommendations

The snow hadn't let up overnight. The pavement was still caked with fresh powder, the snow turning to slush as Wilhelm waded through in his thick snow boots. Rosknopp was a welcomed sight; with its warmed lighting slipping out onto the street, the bustling little cafe brought a smile to Wilhelm's face.

As he approached Rosknopp, he spotted Aurelia, her red curls running wild as she worked away at the paperwork which was laid out in front of herself. Her apron had been discarded, and the girl didn't flinch when Wilhelm made the little golden bell above the door ring out.

One of Aurelia's co workers - her badge read 'Evangeline' - offered a welcoming smile as he entered. He nodded to her, a gesture to recognize that he had seen her, but instead of heading towards the front counter where Evangeline stood, he headed to Aurelia's table, sliding beside her on the bright red retro booth.

"Hey," Aurelia greeted casually, as she sorted through the loose leaf paper which completely covered the table. With a pen in one hand, she exclaimed in relief when she found the offending paper. "How are you today? How'd the, uh, family meeting go? That was yesterday, yes?" She asked, though she seemed only like she was half paying attention.

"They weren't very impressed with me leaving the palace without permission. Wanted to know if I've had contact with...." He trailed off.

"Your boy?" Aurelia asked, giving him a knowing side eye glance before she went back to filling out the little boxes on the paper.

"He's not my boy," Wilhelm replied. Aurelia made a disbelieving noise, but didn't reply verbally. "What are you doing here, anyways? I thought you said you were working today".

Aurelia nodded towards her discarded black apron, "I'm on break; Evans gave me the hour cause I need to fill out school enrollment applications". Wilhelm spotted the familiar Hillerska's enrollment form, laying towards the edge of the table. "Do you know how many freaking private schools there are around this joint? I'm going to need a full ride scholarship for like all of these schools".

"You should apply for this one," Wilhelm suggested, reaching over Aurelia to grab the paperwork for Hillerska. "It's a really good program, and has a couple different payment options for people who can't pay for full tuition".

Aurelia plucked the paperwork from his hands. "This is where you went," She replied knowingly, as she glanced over the requirements, "And where that video was taken. You're suggesting I attend the school that fucked you over?" She shrugged, before getting to work filling out all the spaces on the enrollment form.

"I wouldn't put it like that," Wilhelm said, almost defensively. Hillerska may not have been kind to him, or more August hadn't been kind to him, but he would definitely recommend the school to anyone who was looking to continue their education. "I could write you a letter of recommendation. Not just for Hillerska, for all the schools you're applying for".

"How are you supposed to write me a letter of recommendation about my character and personality if we've only hung out together twice, and spoken three times?" She wondered aloud. She furrowed her brow as she began to search for something on the desk, an item buried under applications and loose leaf paper. Wilhelm didn't take offense to the words that Aurelia spoke; in any case, she made a decent point.

But, that wasn't going to stop him from helping her out. "I think I know you pretty well, despite our limited interactions," He replied honestly, as Aurelia continued to fill out applications.

She chuckled humorlessly. "You, Princeling," She drew out the words as she spoke, as if she was choosing them carefully, "Know jack shit about me. And I plan to keep it that way".

"And why is that?" He asked curiously, "Why am I not allowed to know anything about you, Miss Aurelia?"

"'Miss Aurelia'?" She questioned, but didn't push the matter. "Because shit and chaos follows wherever I go, like a fucking hurricane. Trust me, knowing nothing about me is easier than dealing with everything that's wrong with me. And before you get all high and mighty about being able to deal with all the shit that comes with being friends with me," She continued, "Don't. Because I've been down this road before, with someone like you, and in the end everyone got fucked. So just..." She shook her head, heaving a sigh. "Just forget it".

She began to work in silence. Wilhelm sat quietly beside her, thoughts pondering his mind. "Was this...person the reason you left England?" He asked with caution.

Aurelia placed her pen down, turning so she was facing Wilhelm face on. "I'll make you a deal," She said, and Wilhelm knew instantly that he probably wasn't going to like this deal Aurelia was about to offer. "I tell you the guy's name who I fucked over in England, and in return," She continued, "You tell me your boy's name. You know, the one from the video that you completely fucked over, cause you like announced it to the media that you weren't gay when you very much are".

She didn't speak mean or rudely. Wilhelm bit his lip, keeping eye contact with Aurelia. She made a face, almost as if she was prompting him to start.

"You're a bit of a bitch, you know that?" Wilhelm asked seriously, causing Aurelia to giggle.

"Yeah, I'm very much aware of that," She said, nodding with a smile on her face. Wilhelm let out a chuckle, as Aurelia signaled to Evangeline. "What do you want?" She asked, looking back at Wilhelm.

"Whatever you're having," He replied.

Aurelia raised an eyebrow. "Alright," She shrugged, "Two caramel hot chocolates, Evans," She called, Evangeline nodding as she began the order. "Thanks, darling!" Wilhelm snickered, Aurelia giving him a side eye glance.

Wilhelm hung out with Aurelia for a few more hours after that. Evangeline had given her the rest of the day off, as a kindness (Aurelia had no friends, if we were excluding co-workers) and Evangeline thought it was important for the girl to interact with more than just customers and twenty years old.

The two teenagers filled out applications for the remainder of the afternoon. Around three in the afternoon, however, Aurelia spotted a strangely familiar tanned boy with dark brown curls standing by the floor to ceiling windows of the café, except he was standing outside, on the snowy street staring at it.

Aurelia realised the boy was the one from the video. Wilhelm's boy. 

________________

(1110 words)

how's everyone dealing with covid rn? I'm currently in lockdown for an unknown amount of time