ᴛᴇɴ

Consequences Be Damned

Wilhelm had slipped into the Palace without being noticed. He had scrambled up to his bedroom, his empty duffle bag in tow, because he had run out of clothes and needed some more. He had been spending the nights at Evangeline's apartment, sleeping on her couch, as the two had been waking early each morning to continue their search for Aurelia.

She hadn't made contact again since that text she had sent Wilhelm. Evangeline had confirmed she hadn't gotten on, and both the friends came to the conclusion another text most likely wasn't probable. So instead, they had stuck together and searched the streets of Stockholm, every day for the past two and a half weeks.

It was difficult for Evangeline to look for her friend everyday, hence why the two were getting up early each morning, and searching well into the night. Evangeline had taken to closing Rosknopp earlier than usual, to make time to get back out onto the streets.

Neither knew why Aurelia had disappeared, but they both knew that they had to get her back, safe and sound.

Being back inside the Palace after so many weeks away was strange for Wilhelm; until Hillerska, he hadn't needed to be away for so long. But, times had changed since his first day at the boarding school.

He made quick work of packing his clothes into the bag, before hurling it over his shoulder and heading back out. He had almost reached the gates, was almost out free, when his mother called out from behind. Grimacing at the fact he hadn't been fast enough, he turned to face his mother, dumping the duffle bag at his feet. He kept his head high as she approached him, but the anxiety began to build in his chest - or more so, it continued to build. His anxiety had been having a field day since Aurelia disappeared; it wasn't exactly a fun feeling, either.

"And where do you think you're going?" The Queen asked, "You disappear for two weeks and then slip back believing that you could escape again? Explain yourself, Wilhelm, now. This reckless behavior of yours is causing the media to have a field day! Have you forgotten about how we must keep up appearances?"

"Haven't you realised that I don't care about appearances, mum?" Wilhelm asked, "And before you freak out, I'm not meeting Simon, if that's what you were worried about".

"No? So these past weeks where you haven't been able to be found, you weren't sneaking around with that boy?" The Queen questioned. Wilhelm nodded wordlessly. "Then where have you been? Where have you been sleeping? Hillerska doesn't go back for another week".

"I'm staying with a friend; you don't know her".

"Her?" The Queen's face brightened, "What's her name, Wilhelm? Where did you meet her? Is she kind?" Wilhelm kept his face unreadable.

"She's my friend," He said sternly, "So if you'll excuse me, I have to be getting back, so I can find Aurelia".

"Who's Aurelia?" His mother asked, as Wilhelm picked up his bag and headed for the gates. The Queen trailed after him at a similar pace.

"She's my friend, and she's in trouble," Wilhelm said, "I'll be back soon, when I find her. I'll return to Hillerska too, don't worry".

The Queen paused, causing Wilhelm to pull back. "About that," The Queen said, keeping her voice steady, "Your father and I don't believe that's a good idea, due to everything that has happened recently. We believe you being homeschooled, right here in the Palace, would be the best option".

Wilhelm raised an eyebrow, taking a step towards his mother, "You refuse to expose August, tell me to stay away from Simon and now you're trying to lock me away in the Palace? I'm going to Hillerska," he said, matching her authoritative yet steady tone, "And I'm going to take August down myself, as you clearly can't do it".

"He is family!" The Queen exclaimed.

"No, he isn't, and he knows that. He made that choice, just like he chose to release that video. He ruined my life, and Simon's. I'm not going to sit back and let him get away with it". He turned away for the second time, and started towards the gates.

"So what? You're going to do whatever you wish, consequences be damned?" She asked, refusing to follow her son this time.

"Pretty much," Wilhelm replied in a loud voice. 

_____________

(745 words)