ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ

Wilmon

Simon stood outside Rosknopp for a long while before he built the courage to go inside.

Wilhelm couldn't stop pacing the length of Aurelia's apartment.

Both had already assumed what the other was going to say; and both weren't ready to let go.

*             *              *

Wilhelm froze as the clock struck two pm; again three minutes later, when he heard the door handle to Aurelia's apartment turn. His heart was pounding in his chest, to the point where it was becoming uncomfortable. He tried not to fidget, despite his anxiety. Simon stood in the doorway, his hand still on the handle as if he was considering running. Even though his throat was tight and strained, Wilhelm managed a small, "Hi".

Simon's body refused to obey him, refused to move forward or back, so instead he stood frozen in the doorway to Aurelia's apartment. She and Evangeline had welcoming and kind when he had arrived that Rosknopp, but he was still unsure how he had managed to force himself up the stairs, especially because his brain had proven that it did not, in fact, always follow the direction of his thoughts. So he stood in the threshold awkwardly, his eyes locked on Wilhelm while the Prince looked in every other direction.

Though their time today had been short, Simon knew Wilhelm's anxious tics. He rubs his chest, or picks at his fingernails unintentionally. At that moment, however, the Prince stood completely still. Either he wasn't anxious, or he was hiding it from Simon.

He had never hid his anxiety from Simon.

Wilhelm didn't allow Simon time to dwell on that fact, however. The Prince squeaked out a small, forced, "Hi," which was enough to snap Simon to attention.

"Hi," Simon replied, when finally, his body decided to move. He closed the door over so that lock snapped into place, as he lent against the door.

"I need to say something," Both Wilhelm and Simon exclaimed, their voices overlapping one another. Simon narrowed his eyes, unsure in why Wilhelm was so quick to get this over with. Simon thought he would at least get to say his piece before Wilhelm decided to end it all.

Wilhelm couldn't believe it; Simon was so done with him that he didn't even want to have a conversation, just say what he needed to say and get it over with. Unintentionally, Wilhelm began picking at his fingernails, completely forgetting that he was meant to be keeping his anxiety in check. He took a breath, hoping to prolong the conversation even just by a little bit; he seriously didn't want this to end. "Same time?" He offered, Simon watching him carefully. His expression was unreadable.

Simon nodded solemnly. "One," He started.

"Two," Wilhelm followed.

"Three," They said in unison.

"I meant what I said at the end of term," Wilhelm blurted out, as Simon, simultaneously, said, "I love you too".

Both boys took a step back, their faces mirroring one another. "What?!" They both exclaimed.

Wilhelm couldn't believe what he was hearing - his anxiety began to subside.

Simon couldn't help the smile which was spreading across his face; this was very much not the way he had thought this was going to turn out.

"You go first," They said in unison again. Wilhelm couldn't contain his laughter; Simon shook his head at the fact they kept over lapping.

"I should have said it back," Simon said, as Wilhelm quieted down, "I didn't because I was scared. You threw me under the bus, and I know that probably wasn't your idea or that you wanted too, but I felt alone. I should have said it back, though; we could have worked it out".

"I'm sorry about the press conference. My parents made me the script, and I have regretted everything I said. I don't regret the end of term though," Wilhelm smiled, "Apparently, neither do you".

"Why do you seem so surprised?" Simon asked, as he followed Wilhelm over to the couch, which was situated in the middle of the main area of the apartment.

"I could ask you the same question," The Prince replied, as he settled down by Simon, "I thought you were going to end it," He admitted sheepishly.

"I thought you were," Simon replied, "I mean, you were hiding from me. It made sense".

"Yeah, not my proudest moment," Wilhelm chuckled. Before he had a chance to say anymore, shouting could be heard from below the apartment. Furrowing his brow, Wilhelm listened to the altercation as Simon asked who was yelling.

Aurelia's familiar voice rose through the floorboards, like heat from a raging fire. One word stuck out to Wilhelm, from the rest of the shouting.

August

_____________

(785 words)

sorry for the late and random updates, I'm currently in the midst of final exams. last one is today, thought, so more frequent updates should be returning soon. 

also, I'm in lockdown for an extra two weeks, so right now I have nothing but time. 

hope you enjoyed the chapter !! votes and comments are appreciated.