...Until it's not.

2 YEARS LATER

It was raining. Which is odd considering that it's just a stereotype for funerals. And yes! I'm at a funeral for someone I've come to see as a Father.

Here Rests Sly Cricket.

I chose the monument that would be his resting place. And I know that I should feel sad.

But all I am feeling...

Is pure. Unadulterated. RAGE

And it's not at him, or the fact he died...

Its at the new place and people I absolutely hate the most now.

The bastards from the Clocktower, and by extension, the Mages Association.

They killed Sly, My father. Well father figure but father nonetheless.

And they will pay for it tenfold.

A FEW DAYS PREVIOUSLY

It was a... Special day for me. Why? Well two reasons. One, I mastered two new spells called Soul Swipe and Soul Regen, and two, I'm finally gonna admit to Sly being a father figure.

"Hey stop walking so fast! I'm gonna fucking fall off you asshole!"

Ah yes, Amanojaku. "Oh shush ass-cat" I retort with a scoff, which earned me a string of cusses and insults. Which were bad, as in poorly made.

I walk faster just to piss off the cat more. It's fun.

I enter the house and holler "Dad I'm home!" Hoping he gets the message.

It didn't work at all. "Sly." Oh there he is.

"Why did you say dad?" He says, his dart around the room.

"I'm gonna be bluntly" I said, bluntly, "I see you as my Dad."

He blinks. Once, twice, thrice... I think I broke him.

"I... Need a minute" he says, after a whole minute, ironically.

He walks out of the room and I swear I hear him shout "Yes!"

This... Puts a smile on my face.

He walks out, happy and takes a seat "Well since you consider me a... Dad. It's only fair that a father shares his dreams with his son."

This genuinely confused me, and being the inquisitive mind I am, I sit and listen.

"In Hollownest, and our neighboring kingdom Deepnest, we freely use magic and spells everywhere. And so I thought, 'Why should one world be able to do this, and not the other?' And so, I said it aloud to the last mages I fought, and soon was labled as a 'radical' and now we're here!" He finishes with a big ol' grin.

I... Found myself agreeing to what Sly said, Magecraft, while dangerous, is incredibly helpful. I could already think of all the things that magecraft can do. Like ward off intruders, better transport, better storage, better life in general.

So, I tell him "I wanna follow that dream too." With a smile,"why should WE have everything while others have less?"

He looked happier than the time he got 10 mill Yen from a rich hiker.

"Then let us plan!" He says with enthusiasm.

I follow happily, thinking this would last forever!