CHAPTER 12

NOLUTHANDO CELE
I rushed home with tears streaming down my cheeks. Ever since I started high school, there has been a group of boys who have been bullying me just because I didn’t wanna go out with one of his friends. I was praying that I don’t find dad at home because I knew he wasn’t going to take this slightly.

I got home and found Gcino with Lele. I greeted and quickly rushed to my room. I took off my clothes and put on my tracksuits. I then got into bed and covered my whole body with the comforter. I heard the door opening and little footsteps making their way in. I just knew it was the forever noisy Gcino. He climbed in my bed and uncovered the comforter. He smiled at me.

Gcino: “are you okay? Why are you crying? Should I tell dad?”
Me: “no. no. don’t tell him. You wanna sleep with me?” he smiled.
Gcino: “no. I am still playing with Lele. He just said I should check up on you because he thought you were not okay.” I smiled.

Me: “that’s so sweet of you guys. But thank you. I am okay. I just have period pains. I wanna rest a little.”
Gcino: “should I get pills for you?” oww my cute brother was so adorable. I wished he could grow up and stay like this and actually treat girls this way not like those bullies.

Me: “no but you can bring me chocolate from the pantry.”
Gcino: “okay.” He rushed out. I wiped my tears and sat up.

He brought two chocolates. One for himself and one for me. We ate while he told me about how his day was in school. When we were done, he took the papers and left with them. I slept with my heart a bit at ease. I was later woken up by dad. He frowned when he saw my red puffy eyes. I knew they were puffy because they always sell me out.

Ndosi: “who made you cry?” I sat up and smiled.
Me: “nobody. I just have period pains.”
Ndosi: “I am not stupid angel so don’t take me for a fool. I know your circle so I know you are not on your periods. Now who made you cry?” I looked down and fiddled with my hands. Dad was so smart. He could tell a lie from a distant.

Me: “they made a silly joke in class and I felt offended. It was too late because I was already crying. You know how much of a cry baby I am.” He looked not convinced about my answer.
Ndosi: “I will let this go for now. But you are my daughter and I hate it when you are sad or crying. I love you.” I smiled.

Me: “I love you too daddy.”
Ndosi: “now come down for dinner.” I stood up and followed him out.
.
.
The next morning I went to school and the day was looking bright. But everything went sideways when a little boy from grade 8 told me that I was summoned to the guys’ hangout. I knew it was the bully with his friends calling me. I went to my Geography teacher to stall so that the bell will ring while consulting. I didn’t go to him.

School was out and I quickly rushed to the front gate. I froze on my tracks when I saw him standing at the gate with his friends. They were making jokes and passing nasty comments to some learners who were walking out. I tried running away but they spotted me and their lapdog quickly rushed to me and grabbed me. I was kicking and screaming.

Him: “don’t fight because you won’t win.” He laughed an annoying laughter and I wanted to kill him. He walked with me and placed me inside a circle they had opened. The guy who wanted me stepped forward. His name was Simangaliso.

Smanga: “you really thought you could escape us? Poor you MaCele. I kindly asked that you meet up with me. I wasn’t going to ‘abuse’ you today but you provoked me.” He chuckled.

Me: “leave me alone. I don’t want you. Get that through your thick stupid skull.” That comment earned me a hard back slap. Wow Thando you really gotta learn to shut it sometimes. I gasped and held my burning cheek. “Did you just…”
Smanga: “now be a good little one and agree to being my girlfriend or this will go on and on until you finally give in.”

Voice: “who said love is forced?” we all turned to see my dad standing not far from us with a chilled face. If you knew him you could see that he was super angry but he was trying to contain it. Most of the bullies ran away and just as Smanga was running, dad quickly darted to him and pulled him using his backpack. “Where do you think you are going?”

Smanga: “I am sorry Mr Cele. This was all just a misunderstanding.” He let go of his backpack and grabbed his neck. He came to me and removed my hand from my cheek. His eyes glistered with the water works when he saw my cheek.

Ndosi: “you dare lay your hand on my daughter? Who the fuck do you think you are?” he punched him and he instantly fell down. He kicked him a couple of times before Lele rushed to us.

Lele: “stop dad. He is mine now.” He squatted near his face and grabbed his neck. He started strangling him. Smanga looked like he was dying.
Me: “bhuty stop. You will kill him and then you will go to jail.” He stopped strangling him and came to me. He hugged me tight.

Lele: “he is never going to bother you again. You hear me?” I nodded and cried in his arms.
Ndosi: “let’s go.” I went to his arms and hugged him tight. “You are safe now.”
Lele: “wake up wena.” He kicked Smanga and I just chuckled. These two are my heroes.
.
.
.
#MissChubby
#FromThePast