CHAPTER 14

SIBULELE CELE ‘LELE’
Being a rapper at high school is a common thing but being a great rapper and good singer is something rare. Almost everyone can rap nowadays but not everyone has talent. Just like the bible says ‘many were called but few were chosen’.

Dad told me that we get our singing gene from my mother because she was a singer from a younger age but she used to do choral music, doing solos and all that. He isn’t gifted with a good voice but he is not a total bummer. He can hit a few notes here and there.

When my family discovered that I could rap and sing, they were ecstatic. There is a rule here at home. Or a rule that dad loves very much. That you do what you want or rather follow a path that you love in life. He never forces someone to do something that he doesn’t like.

Like my sister Futhy for example. He, together with mom, supported her dream of being an architect. And also my older sister, Busi who just chose to get married and live in another province with her husband. Dad and mom didn’t deny her the pleasure of following her husband around. She is dependent on him. Even though dad isn’t happy about that, he just let her be.

Well I was doing grade 11 and my school was one of the schools in Durban where talent was something that was recognized and our teachers did everything to make sure that we have brighter futures. Not only academically but in life generally.

Today was one of the busiest days in our school. And it was a day I was so looking forward to. Mr. and Mrs. Ntuli of Blue Diamond Music were coming to our school. Well there was a competition and they were just guest of honours. Word was out on the street that they were scouting for young fresh voices for their record label.

It was a dream of mine to be under Blue Diamond Music. Well one of the reasons for that is Blue Diamond was a record label that was family orientated. Meaning it was run by the Ntuli family members and they treated their artists like family not pawns to use in order to keep their record label popular and the numbers high.

I was looking forward to performing at the competition. I had even prepared a rap song which included a bit of singing here and there. I prepared myself to go to school. Dad was dropping me off. He was also excited about this day. Dad is everyone’s number one supporter in this family to such an extent that if you don’t his support in something that means what you are doing is not right.

Dad: “what’s next? Are you going to put on make-up? Come on Sibulele. Let’s go.”
Me: “patience is a virtue dad.” I shouted from my room.

Dad: “fuck patience. Come down here this instant.” I chuckled and went out with my school bag which contained my changing outfit. He looked at me with a bored look. “Seriously? I thought you were going to descend the stairs looking like Winnie Mandela or something.” I laughed.

Me: “dad come on. She was not as hot like me in her early days.” He rolled his eyes.
Dad: “whatever. Let’s go.” I laughed and followed him outside. We hopped into his car and he drove off. We pulled up at school and there were so many cars parked outside. Well there weren’t going to be classes. Just the competition only. “It’s like the president is coming or something.” I just laughed and shook my head.

Me: “you’re coming in now or later?”
Dad: “no I am going to fetch your mom at work and your sister at the airport and then we will come together.”
Me: “okay. See you then.” I climbed off the car and walked inside the school premises.

I went to my classroom and found most of my classmates doing rehearsals. I just chuckled and went to sit down on my desk. I took off my headphones from my bag and listened to music. It was my calm before the storm.

When it was time for the competition to start, everyone was called to the hall. Not many students were participating in the lower grades. Only the grade 10-12 learners had more numbers. It started with the lower grades. Well there would be a winner from each grade and then an overall winner, a champion who stood out from all the grades. Rumour had it, the Ntuli family were going to recruit the overall winner.

Time came for me to perform. Little nerves were threatening to kick in but I chose to ignore them. I saw my family on the other side of the hallway waving at me. I just smiled and waved back. I went to the stage and started playing the piano. Out of nowhere, my siblings, Gcino and Thando started singing the exact song I was going to perform loudly, that I had no choice but to continue playing because the attention was on them now.

‘Kade kwasa ngiphusha ngingalali
Ngiphusha inamba ubusuku nemini
Ngilokhu ngishaya ama under G
Kodwa sekuze kwalunga

When I told you ngizophumelela
Awuzange ungikholwe nakancane
Kodwa buka manje ukhothama kimi
Usuthi bayede Ngonyama kimi

All this time I’ve been around
I’ve been anonymous
I’ve been anonymous.’

They stopped singing and everyone cheered for them. I just laughed. I was surprised that they sang it word for word. I guess I rehearsed it too much at home because wow. I looked at Mr. and Mrs. Ntuli and they were smiling from ear to ear. I guess they were amused by the stunt my siblings pulled. Anyways I sang my song from scratch. When I was done, everyone cheered loudly. I walked back to my seat because we were only allowed to mingle with our families after the competition.

The competition continued and when it ended, we were given chances to perform in groups and trios or duets just to keep the audience entertained. We performed and that part came to an end. They announced winners from each grade and unfortunately I didn’t win any category. Mr and Mrs. Ntuli went to the stage to announce the overall winner.

Mr. Ntuli: “we feel so blessed to have seen such talent today. It’s true, young people are the future.”
Mrs. Ntuli: “we won’t be long. We will be announcing the overall winner. We have great news for him or her. Not only will he or she will be the school’s champion but he or she will get to join the Blue Diamond Music family straight after grade 12.” We all gasped and cheered. Well good luck to whoever the winner is.

Mr. Ntuli: “well without further due, the winner is Sibulele Cele also known as Lele.” Everyone cheered while my mind went on total temporary shutdown. Holy fuck. My friend who was sitting next to me shook me. That’s when I came back to life. I practically ran to the stage and hugged both Mr. and Mrs. Ntuli. They laughed and handed me the trophy.

Mrs. Ntuli: “we are so lucky to have you joining our family Lele. You have showed tremendous talent and we can’t wait to have you on our studios.”
Mr. Ntuli: “We will have further talks with your parents.”

Me: “thank you so much.” The competition ended and we were allowed to go to our families. I ran to my family and we all shared a group hug.
Dad: “I am so proud of you son.”
Futhy: “me too. I mean I wouldn’t have flew for nothing. I knew you were going to win.” I laughed and hugged her.

Me: “your presence blessed me then your majesty.” She did a little dramatic bow and I laughed again. Mr and Mrs. Ntuli came to where we are standing.
Mr. Ntuli: “hello little champions.” He said looking at my younger siblings who giggled while hiding behind my parents.

Mrs. Ntuli: “Mr and Mrs. Ntuli, well I must say you gave birth to extraordinary talent.”
Dad: “it’s my strong family genes.” He boasted proudly.
Mom: “since when?” we all laughed.

Mr. Ntuli: “well I would like to have a more private chat with the parents so that we can speak a way forward regarding Lele’s future.”
Dad: “you can take my number and we will set up a meeting for when we are both available.” I smiled as I saw my dream coming true right in front of my eyes. Thando came and hugged me.

Thando: “does this mean you will buy me many high heels when you are finished with school?”
Me: “as promised, I will do so angel.” She screamed and jumped up and down attracting attention to us. I just chuckled and shook my head. Being part of Blue Diamond music was a dream and right now it was coming true and I couldn’t be happier. Thank you God for this.
.
.
.
#MissChubby
#FromThePast

From The Past जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें