Meeting Himemiko

December 24, 202X. 9pm to 10pm.

I yawned and stretched in my seat, as I just finished typing out the report for Sergeant Fujiwara.

"There you go, Sergeant." I handed a file of documents I just printed to the man with blueish gray hair. "The Autopsy Report for Momose Shizuru."

"Thank you, Ms Reika."

I sighed.

Momose Shizuru, a 26 year old woman who worked as an office worker.

She went on a date with a highly respected man, who is her colleague.

Only to be drugged and kidnapped by that same man, which explains the date rape drug in her system.

As it turns out, the man was part of a human trafficking ring. The woman was going to make her escape... but didn't make it.

"There will be a court hearing next week. Your presence will be required."

"Yes, Sergeant. I know." I waved my hand, before turning to him. "So you will be working overtime as usual, huh?"

"The same can be said of you, Ms Reika."

I scoffed. "Tell me about it. I swear, it's during festive times like these that crime rates will skyrocket."

"It's like these people aren't feeling the holiday spirit." I added.

"Or maybe, they're feeling too much of it." The Sergeant remarked.

"Regardless, it looks like I won't be able to host a Christmas Party for my colleagues as I originally planned."

"Then instead of a party, how about a present?"

I turned around to face the Sergeant, who is holding out a wrapped gift box. "Merry Christmas, Ms Reika."

I was taken aback. "A-Are you sure?"

"Of course." He laughed, and handed me his present. "You and your team have been most helpful with our investigations."

"Just doing my job, Sergeant. And if you're going to give me a present as gratitude, you should gift the others too since it was a team effort."

"I will." He nodded.

I took the box carefully, while staring at the Sergeant with wary. "You didn't get anything expensive, did you?"

He smiled. "Don't worry. I had this on my person for a long time now."

"What, you kept it in your storage?" I looked at the Sergeant incredulously.

He chuckled. "Something like that."

"Good grief..." I shook my head. "You sure are bad at giving gifts."

December 25, 202X. 12am to 1am.

"Finally..." I finally reached home.

I took a shower and was about to head to bed but-

'I suppose I should open my gift.'

Carefully, I unwrapped the packaging, and opened the box.

Inside was a gold necklace, with a key pendant.

'And he said it is a second hand present...'

I wore the necklace around my neck. 'Not bad.'

Weary with exhaustion however, my mind automatically decides it was okay to sleep with the necklace on.

Not knowing that whatever happen next, would change my life.

"Mmm... Bright— huh?"

Unbeknownst to me, the necklace shined brightly. Waking me in an instant.