everything is complicated

The sun peeks through the singular window in the enderboy's house, flooding the room with warmth while also causing Y/n to wake up from her fourteen-hour nap.

"Ughhhh," she groans as she rubs the sleep away from her eyes, "what time is it?"

When she gets no response the h/c haired girl turns to where Ranboo was the day before. The enderman lays on the floor while staring at the ceiling. Completely motionless.

"Are you okay?"

The two toned boy turns his head towards the voice. "Not really."

"What happened?" Y/n asks, concerned for her friend.

"Last night...uh...I went to bed and-well I had a dream, but it wasn't really a dream and more a retelling of our entire friendship."

Y/n's eyes went wide. "So you had a vision of all of our time together? So you remember?"

"Yep. I remember so so much." The guy looked like he had just gotten done doing an immense amount of hallucinogens and wasn't sure if the world was still real. He was not having a good time.

You see, nighttime is when Ranboo experiences his different self. But when his nighttime self's world collides with his daytime self, they become almost one in the same. Although some of it is hazy, such as the part about breaking Dream out, every conversation he and Y/n have ever had has been reinserted into his brain. All in one night, I might add. So it's a lot of information for one person to handle.

"So, we're friends but what was I even doing in the prison? Everything is a little confusing." Ranboo asks with a hand rubbing his temple.

"You were breaking Dream out of prison," Y/n explains nonchalantly.

Ranboo shoots up off of the floor. "I was doing what?!"

"Breaking Dream out of prison."

"WHY?!"

"Because he has you under some sort of spell. We're not quite sure. But you're safe now, okay? I'm going to make sure you don't go back there."

They stared at one another for a couple of tense seconds. The softness in Y/n's sleepy eyes told her friend that what she said was the truth. She was going to protect him.

And by god Ranboo was going to protect her.

--

The day came and went. As the one before, it was spent inside eating and sleeping. The human and the enderman were not up for adventure after the events of the past days. But as soon as the next day rolled around, they were both up and ready to get to work.

Y/n was focused on getting outside, finding somewhere beautiful to sit and take in all that she had been missing while stuck inside her netherite prison. And Ranboo was focused on finding a close and secluded spot to start building a house for the girl.

Ranboo found some old clothes of Technoblade's, a white blousy shirt and a pair of dark work pants. As well as an extra pair of boots, all to be worn by Y/n.

When she first put them on she admitted it felt strange. To have the sweaty boring jumpsuit off for the first time in so long was a wonderful change, but it felt sacrilegious. To take off the jumpsuit was to disobey her past. To take it off was to move forward from her past. And maybe it was just scary, but for a second Y/n almost didn't put on the new clothes. She thought about clinging to Pandora's, but alas she knew that the Vault didn't feel right. Ranboo felt right. These new clothes felt right. Every part about where she was, for once, felt right.

When the girl emerged in her new clothes, Ranboo also knew that this friendship felt right.

He admired his friend, who looked effortlessly good in the hand-me-down clothing. The shirt, although a bit big since it was for someone who was half piglin, gave the outfit a soft cottagecore look. And the work pants added an element of badassery. Making her able to build in comfort, yet look fashionable.