Chapter 9

Emya awoke sweating, shaking, and unable to move. As soon as she regained control of her muscles she pulled on her shoes and bounded out the door. The morning sun shined blindingly. Emya could barely see as she loped towards the throne room and burst in.

The Kings were absent. She hadn't considered if they'd returned, but she was glad they hadn't, as they would have prevented her from talking to the Shadow. He was lying on the ground in the corner, asleep until she marched up and stood over him, prodding him gently with her foot. He shifted uncomfortably and his eyes cracked open.

"Did the Kings use magic to make them stop talking to me?" she demanded, her voice high-pitched and wild. His eyes widened, surprised and afraid. He flinched as she took a step toward him, expecting to be hit.

"Yes," he breathed, cowering. He winced as she stepped back.

She'd known it the whole time, deep down in her heart of hearts. Were the villagers aware? Magic could be used to influence people without their knowledge. If the villagers realized they'd been under some sort of enchantment she was sure to pay the price.

"I have to break the spell," she said more to herself, pacing away. Even if it meant the villagers would try to kill her. The Kings would have to protect her then.

"Yes," whispered the Shadow.

She could break the spell, somehow, or the Kings believed she could. Had she managed to break through the spell when Kamala talked to her? Or was that another effect of the spell?

But why? A little voice inside her whispered. Why did she have to free the villagers from a spell that was keeping them from tormenting her?

"I don't know. They want to see if you can figure it out yourself."

The doors swung open and the Kings sauntered in, each carrying a dead animal over their shoulders. The spotted red coats and distinct pointed ears and noses of valley leopards sagged pathetically. The rare cats roamed the steppe around the village, but almost never came close enough to be seen. She'd only heard them described by the few who'd ever seen them and survived.

"What are you doing here?" Gabek-Fen said as he tossed the carcass to the floor. There was no blood or wounds. It wasn't clear how they killed it, but its eyes were glazed in death. A pang of sadness struck her.

"I was looking for you," she lied. The Shadow crept slowly away from her as if they wouldn't notice.

"And you thought he might know where we were?" Azo gestured to the boy.

"I was wondering what he was doing over here," she said, adding distaste to her tone. "He's always skulking around."

"Do not worry," Azo said softly. He seemed to think she was scared of the Shadow. "There is nothing in here for him to disturb, and he won't hurt you. He can't."

Emya nodded. She had no doubt in her mind that they had enchanted him to keep him from running away or fighting. Although it hadn't stopped him from talking to her.

"How did you fare last night?" Azo asked. "Were you able to make any progress?"

"Yes, Kamala talked to me a little."

"Good," Azo said with a smile. "You're doing very well."

"You must keep trying," Gabek-Fen said. "Go back to the festival."