Chapter 17

Light shone dimly through the canopy when she woke. Sore despite the spongy moss carpet, she sat up slowly. Felix was curled up, snoring gently. At least he was still alive. Though the forest was quiet and peaceful, an eerie essence permeated the air. A gentle breeze swept through the trunks, colder than it ought to have been. Shivering, she stood up and walked around the great red trunk they were camped under. Nothing moved between the trees, no deer, or any other creature, but she could not shake the feeling that something was nearby.

"Emya?" Felix called weakly. She scampered back around the tree.

Felix was sitting up, looking worse than he had the night before. It didn't seem possible that he would be able to make it through the forest.

"Are you feeling any better?" she asked, sitting cross-legged beside him and rummaging through her pack.

"A little less tired," he said, "but worse than I would feel if I hadn't used the companion I think."

She had expected a long journey and had packed plenty of food. She handed him a hard roll, dried fruit, and some water. He ate it quickly.

"Don't make yourself sick," she said.

"They used to take my food away before I finished," he said softly. "I'm used to eating fast."

Emya's heart ached.

"You don't have to eat fast now," she said. "Take your time."

"Actually," he said around a mouth full, "I think we'd do better to get going as quickly as possible."

When they finished eating a few minutes later, Felix got shakily to his feet. How far he would be able to walk was uncertain, but Emya took him by the arm and let him lean on her as they set off.

The trees were magnificent and Emya had a hard time taking her eyes off them. Felix directed her along a winding path through the trees and she became sure they were going in circles. Twice they climbed a steep slope and down a shallow incline, both of which looked and felt identical.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" she asked tentatively.

"Yes," he said, a little out of breath. "I've been through these woods many times, but we must hurry. We're being followed."

Emya increased their pace, pushing Felix's endurance as much as she dared. No sound but their footfall permeated the silence, but out of the corner of her eye shadows flickered with ominous presence. For several hours they walked; Felix held up until noon. His steps slowed while his stumbling increased. They sat to rest beneath a large redwood with a sizable hole gouged out of the trunk. Emya kept glancing up at it, worried about what sort of creature might call it home, until Felix assured her it was empty.

"How do you know?"

"Same way I know we're being hunted. Magic, to detect the presence of creatures. We must move on quickly."

Felix caught his breath while Emya took out some lunch. They ate silently until Emya could stand it no longer.

"How much further?" she asked. It was the question most burning in her heart. She did not want to badger him while he concentrated on walking.

"We should reach the valley by nightfall," he said.

"Good. This place gives me such a sense of unease."

Felix nodded solemnly.

"It used to be a happier place, long ago. Before a raging storm of raw magic stripped it of its nature."

At the quizzical look from Emya he went on.

"There was a battle in this forest among mages. It damaged the trees irrevocably and I'm afraid much of the magic still lingers here."

"Is it safe? The magic I mean," she asked, wondering what could have possessed him to bring them there.

"We are protected by our powers. Any person without magic would go insane or worse. Few wander in. Only those of immense courage and strength could survive without magic."

"You said there is something in here though."

"Yes," he said gravely. "A creature of magic. It found us some time last night, I think."

"The deer?"

"No that was just an animal. They come in here sometimes. Deer don't seem to be affected by raw magic. We should go," he added sharply.

With Emya's help, he got to his feet and they started off. Felix set the pace. When the sun began to set, the green light dimmed to a shadowy gray. As the shadows grew so did her sense of foreboding. The forest came to life with flickering shadows. A shimmer between trunks, a flash in the foliage, a patch of darkness that disappeared when she tried to look at it properly. Felix quickened their steps.

As the sun set and the woods succumbed to darkness, something in the canopy let out a soul-rattling cry. Emya looked up to see the creature leaping between the lower branches of the canopy, entirely silent. Large leathery wings stretched out as it glided through the air, great clawed talons grasping limbs as thick as her thigh. It flew ahead of them, watching and waiting. Felix gripped her arm tightly and pulled her into a fast trot.

"It's a Faolgal. A demon bird," he whispered. "Just a little further—hurry!"

Felix broke into a run, pulling Emya along with an energy only mortal peril could summon. As they passed underneath, it dived, striking Emya. Its talons dug into her shoulder. Crying out in agony, she grabbed at its claws as it beat its leathery wings and lifted her into the air. Felix wrapped his arms around her, hauling her and the creature to the ground. Releasing her, it flew up and Emya collapsed in Felix's arms. He set her on her feet and pulled her into a run.

The Faolgal circled around and dived. They ducked but it slashed their heads with its talons. Its sharp, long beak bit into Felix, and he howled in pain and collapsed. Emya grabbed her pack and swung, striking the bird so hard it flew ten feet into a tree trunk.

It fell into a heap on the ground, but quick as lightning it lurched to its feet and let out a horrible, gurgling scream. With its wings spread to their full length, it was longer than any man. Agitated, it leaped at them. Emya stood frozen, still clutching Felix's arm as death descended on her.

There was a sickening thump.

The Faolgal crumpled to the ground. A big knife embedded in its back up to the hilt. Behind it stood a man, silhouetted in the night.