Chapter 12

Heat seared her face first before spreading down her body. Light burned through her eyelids. The loud click and pop of burning grass and wood, along with the intense heat, suggested she was next to a fire. All strength had left her. She lacked even the energy to open her eyes, let alone move away from the licking flames. There was only one place in the village that had a wood fire. With tremendous effort, she pried her eyes open. Bright blurry light forced her to close them again, but she was indeed in the throne room. Gradually she recalled what happened and could guess how she'd been returned, though why she had passed out so suddenly was not immediately clear. The Kings must have somehow figured out what she was doing and put a spell on her.

After a few minutes, strength trickled through her, and with some effort, she turned away from the heat. Cool air bathed her face and encouraged her to open her eyes again. She was not alone. Through blurry vision, she could discern the scrawny, wasted figure sitting beside her. She blinked several times and he came into focus.

The Shadow watched her dully, his expression resigned and hopeless. She hadn't realized there was some hope in him before, but now it was gone. At least some color had returned to his cheeks and thin, cracked lips, though it did little to improve his corpse-like countenance.

"You tried to run, didn't you?" he said, his voice barely a hoarse whisper.

"Yes," she breathed.

"It won't let you. The object." He shuddered. "When they leave and take it with them, I pass out too."

That explained why he often seemed to be asleep while the Kings were away hunting. When the Kings were in the room he was always awake. She saw out of the corner of her eye the way his bright, fearful gaze followed their every move. When he'd been able to talk to her while the Kings were away, they must have been nearby. Which meant they were not far now.

"They have no power of their own," he continued. "Never have. They went to a forbidden place where powerful objects are hidden. Most die before ever finding one, but the Kings are cunning and strong. They found an object that could give them the power they desired."

He pushed himself closer and leaned toward her, an effort that drained the little color in his face.

"When I die, they will get their power from you," he said. "Don't believe me? You soon will."

She believed him. Despite everything the Kings had ever told her, the tether which connected her to the object which she could sense as keenly as a limb attached to her magic, was proof enough of their true intentions.

The Shadow had been very sick when they arrived. They must have known he didn't have much time left. Must have been searching. Their appearance in the village was part of the search for a replacement.

"Did they know I had magic?" she asked in a low, scared voice. "Did they come here because of me?"

"I don't know," he said. "They don't tell me anything, nor am I usually able to listen when they talk."

Emya closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm the panic rising in her. The villagers had been right about her all along. Whether she used it or not, her magic had caused everyone to suffer. Even if the Kings hadn't come for her intentionally, she was one of the reasons they stayed.

"You wanted to know if I would leave if you asked me to before," she said. Her strength had returned enough to sit up. "I wish I had. It's too late now, I suppose."

"It's not too late," he murmured looking up at her through his lashes. The heavy wooden doors flew open. In thundered the Kings, arguing savagely. When Gabek-Fen caught sight of Emya and the Shadow, he stomped over to them, roaring.

"We told you not to talk to her!" He hauled up the wretched young man and hurled him across the room. Slamming against the wall, he fell to the floor with a sickening thump and did not stir. Gabek-Fen rounded on Emya.

"Next time it'll be you!"

He stalked away and threw himself onto a throne. Azo crouched next to her, smiling the gentle smile she used to trust. It was unsettling how she could detect no deceit in his features.

"My poor little Emya," he said, reaching out and stroking her hair. She flinched away but he ignored it, gently combing through her knotted locks.

"You wandered too far from us. You must stay in the village now until your training is complete. If you stray too far from the object for too long you will die. You don't want that to happen, do you?"

She shook her head. He patted her affectionately on her arm and she fought the urge to cringe away. She needed them to think she had learned her lesson, at least until she had a plan. A commotion outside distracted the Kings. A cacophony of laughing and shouting advanced on the throne room. Azo stood up, regarding the door with a frown.

"I told you it wouldn't work," growled Gabek-Fen.

"We will try again," Azo said diplomatically.

He marched out the door, Gabek-Fen grumbling behind him. "It won't work I tell you."

The doors slammed shut behind them. Emya waited a few moments before standing up. With considerable effort, she shuffled over to the Shadow. She knelt next to him and placed her hand on his chest to feel for a heartbeat. A weak thump pulsed, but she needn't have checked. The Shadow placed his hand lightly over hers. A confusing but pleasant feeling filled her own chest. Before she could better examine it, the Shadow's eyes fluttered open.