Chapter Thirty Nine

Silently Falling (ORIGINAL): Chapter Thirty Nine

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement.

In just five minutes the Winter Chorus Performance, one of our school's biggest events of the year, will take place in the auditorium. Every year it is placed on Christmas Eve, and it's almost like a tradition in our town to come see it; which means we have a full house.

I'm not entirely too worried I'm going to screw up, because I know this music like the back of my hand, I wrote it after all; I'm more anxious for the criticism I know I will receive. Not everyone has the same taste in music, and I know there will be people in the crowd that hate the music I have prepared for them.

You can't please everyone.

"Hey, Raine. You ready?" Alyse asks, entering my line of sight.

Just like the rest of the class, she's wearing a gorgeous light blue dress. The guys are wearing light blue vests to match, but I'm wearing a sleek black dress with my hair styled into curls dancing down my back and my shoulders.

I take a deep breath and nod, putting on a smile. "As I'll ever be."

West was kind enough to sit with me last night for hours, listening to me playing the music over and over and over again. I'm sure he's excited to hear it with lyrics, because he got the piano version of the concert about five times last night. He complained, of course, but he sat and listened and told me time and time again it sounded amazing and that I had no reason to be worried.

Alyse grins and places her hand on my shoulder. "Everyone's going to love the music. Now get out there and let's do this thing!"

I nod, letting out the final worried breath running through me, and I walk out onto the stage. A hush falls over the crowd as I walk towards my piano and the rest of the chorus class fills in on the platforms. My eyes scan the crowd and I instantly pinpoint where the guys are sitting. I catch West's eye first, and of course he offers me his famous smirk, and it calms the stirring nerves inside of me. My shoulders relax and my heartbeat returns to normal speed, and I let out a breath of relief.

Mr. C walks out next and introduces himself, as well as me. I stand when he says my name, waving to the crowd. West whistles loudly as I do, and I blush in his direction, feeling a smile tug at my lips.

"Break a leg." He signs, smiling at me.

I let out a long breath and nod, sitting back down as Mr. C walks off the stage. I place my hands atop the sterling white keys, and I devote myself to the song. My eyes stray away from glancing at the crowds reaction, and instead I focus entirely on not screwing up.

As I play the final note of our third song, everyone in the auditorium bursts out into cheers. West and Toby stand up, whistling and yelling for me and Alyse, and the rest of the auditorium follows suit. We get a standing ovation, and the cheers take what seems like forever to quiet down.

Once they finally do, I exit the stage with the rest of the class, but not before taking another bow, and as I walk off stage I go right up to Alyse and let out a huge breath of relief.

"They loved it." She says giddily.

"They did! You were amazing during your solo, Alyse!" I exclaim.

She pulls me in for a hug, practically jumping up and down in excitement. We pull apart and she keeps me at arm's length, but her eyes catch movement behind me and she's quick to ditch me. I furrow my brow and turn around, and I see her jumping into Toby's arms. He chuckles and catches her, instantly connecting their lips.