Chapter Twenty Two

Silently Falling (ORIGINAL): Chapter Twenty Two

The car ride was fairly silent. The only time West spoke was to ask me if I was cold. I nodded off and fell into a light sleep for the last hour, but when West hit the familiar bump that tells me we've turned onto my street, I yawn and sit up slightly, ready to check for Toby's red truck.

However, I see much more than just his truck when my house comes in sight.

Police cars fill my driveway, lights blaring and sirens sounding, and cops litter the yard. A familiar feeling rattles within me and my heart drops. This is almost the exact scene I witnessed 12 years ago.

My eyes frantically scan my yard as West confusedly pulls into my driveway. I let out a small breath of relief when I see Toby alive and well talking animatedly to the cops and my heartbeat slows to normal. His hair is all screwed up, as if he's been running his hands through it for hours, and his face is contorted into worry.

I suddenly remember I never brought my phone with me. I left it plugged in so it would charge.

And I never told Toby where I was going.

I quickly get out of West's Jeep, and the sound of the door closing gets everyone's attention. Toby's eyes land on me and his entire posture relaxes with audible sob of relief. He practically runs to me and envelopes me in a tight hug, his hands shaking on my back.

"Jesus Christ Raine, I just about had a heart attack looking for you." He breathes, holding me tighter. "Don't you dare scare me like that again."

I frown deeply and rub his back, providing as much comfort and reassurance as I can without the ability to voice it. He takes a deep breath and I feel him shaking. "I thought I lost you too." He mutters, and the amount of pain in his voice makes my heart shatter into a million pieces.

I hug him tighter and shake my head, letting him know I'm right here. He takes in a shaky breath and pulls away, but before he says anything else, he sees West standing awkwardly off to the side talking to the cops. His eyes light up in rage and he storms towards West, shoving him back as the cops disperse.

"What the hell?!" He yells, shoving West again. "You fucking kidnap my sister?" He rears back and his fist flies forward, but West catches his hand before it can connect with his face.

He narrows his eyes. "I didn't kidnap anyone, Toby. Don't be ridiculous. She asked me to drive her somewhere and I did."

I quickly run up and place a hand on my brothers shoulder, making him lower his arm.

"It's true, I asked him to drive me to mom's grave." I sign, gaging his reaction carefully.

From the surprise that shows on his face, I put together that he forgot her anniversary was today. He looks down at the ground and conveniently avoids my gaze.

"Oh." He says gruffly. "I'll be waiting inside." He says, keeping his gaze low as he treads inside.

I watch him go and let out a small sigh, turning back to West.

"Sorry..." I sign, giving him an awkward grimace.

He waves it off. "Don't be. For anything."

"Thanks for being there for me today."

"Of course. Just don't get used to it, Sunshine." He winks.

I chuckle softly at him and tuck my hair behind my ear. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, I gotta go get out of these wet clothes." He says. "I'll see you, Sunshine." He turns and walks to his Jeep, his hands deep in his pockets.