Delphine

My suitcase is full, and there are still a bunch of clothes left on my bed. Those will have to stay until whoever Dane sends to pick them up does so.

I've been on autopilot since Dane walked out of my room. Packing my stuff was easier than I expected it to be. This day was coming, I knew that. I really did. I just never expected it to be Dane who decided to claim me.

I wanted it to be Sammy.

When Dane come into my room with Joshua, I wanted it to be Joshua instead of Dane. Joshua wasn't my ideal husband, but he was a better option than Dane.

Joshua comes over to me, holding his hand out. "I'll take the suitcase to the car while you say goodbye to your family." Everything hits me all at once. The tears start and I'm not sure how I'm going to get them to stop. "Delphine," I shake my head at Joshua. Talking about this with Sammy's brother, Dane's follower, is not happening. He's just going to tell me that everything is going to be okay.

It's not.

"I'll be out in about ten minutes."

Joshua nods before taking the suitcase and heading outside. He knows that I'm not going to run. I'm just going to say goodbye to my family before I head to Dane's compound.

My mom is crying as I walk into the living room. "I'm so sorry, Delphine." I'm not sure what she's apologizing for. It's not like she sent Dane my way. She might be crying because she always envisioned Sammy being my husband. Not someone like Dane. My mother would often talk about my wedding day and how happy Sammy and I would be together.

All at once, my family members jump up and run to me, putting their arms around me. I feel safe, comforted. It won't last though because I know once I walk out the front door, everything changes.

"You know what this means, don't you?" I ask my family as they finally let me go. "You all have to be careful. Dane won't hesitate to punish any of you if you do something wrong. I'm going to be the leader's wife. Me and my family have to set an example. No messing up."

My brothers nod at me while my mother and father look at each other. Honestly, I have no reason to remind them to follow the laws. My parents have been great about that. The only reason I said it was because I want the full weight of our new reality to sink in.

Dane is not someone who will give you a pass. He is ruthless. He will punish people who break the laws to the fullest extent of the law.

My biggest worry isn't that though.

It's the fact that Dane said he didn't claim me for so long because he wanted me to spend more time with my family. Does that mean that he plans on keeping me away from them for an extended period of time?

I sincerely hope not.

I'm a family oriented person, so I want to be able to see my family whenever I can. Dane's words make me worry that he won't let me see them as often as I would like.

Joshua opens the door, pointing at his watch. "I'm sorry Delphine, but it's time to go."

Joshua is just doing his job. I'm not mad at him, I'm just upset that I have to leave my home. Leave my family.

I give him a nod before my family wraps me up in another hug.

"I love you all."

Kasen pulls away first then says, "This isn't goodbye, Delly. It's not like you're moving a million miles away."

Without another word, I make my way outside to the car. Joshua opens the door for me and once I get in, he shuts it. It's like having a chauffeur. I'm not the fancy type. I grew up comfortable. Not poor, not rich, but we definitely never had anything like this.