p o w e r

Dilara

My gaze narrows. "I'm assuming this is more of a summoning than it is dinner invitation, correct?"

I desperately want to find out why i'm here, but I'm also not one to heed to a man's beck and call.

"Correct." He rises to a seated position, checking the silver watch on his wrist before rising to his feet. "I'll wait outside your door and escort you to dinner once you're ready. There should be something in the closet that's up to your standards."

Kai rises to his feet, every movement of his lithe body graceful. I hate him a little bit more for that. He walks out of my room without so much as a glance back at me.

I don't bother re-locking the door behind him. He's already proven it won't deter him, and if he were interested in seeing me naked he wouldn't have stepped out.

I pull open the closet doors a bit forcefully, the mirrored glass rattling. My eyes widen at its contents, my arms dropping to my sides. Dozens of outfits drape from hangers, every article of clothing from leggings to evening gowns. Although every piece is a dark tone, there's more colors and shades than i've ever seen.

In Arcane all my clothes were either white or brightly colored, a reflection of the girl my father wanted me to be. It's ironic really, the fact that I've hated all things brightly colored since as far back as I can remember. I have never once been permitted to wear anything like these clothes before me.

I almost smile.

I soft through the hangers, growing suspicious when I realize everything in the closet is my size and style. After ten minutes I finally settle on a dress, plucking it from its hanger. I find a pull out drawer stalked with bras and underwear, or more appropriately, lingerie. Everything is sheer, lacy, and extremely indecent. It's exactly my taste. After picking out a simple black lace thong and strapless bra, I let my towel fall to the ground.

The dress I've chosen is made of sacramento green satin. Its snug fitting and slit high up to my thigh, the straps thin and the back dips low. I've been staring at myself in the mirror for god knows how long. I've worn plenty of dresses in my lifetime, but this has been the first I've ever picked out for myself. Looking at my reflection, I for once I do not recognize myself as the daughter of The Angel Monarch Javid. I can't hold back my smile.

I take my time getting ready, hoping both Kai and The Devil are watching the minutes tick by.

After a bit of searching, I find a jewelry box stalked to the brim. I replace the diamond studs in my ears with golden hoops and trade my silver rings for gold. Since the low neckline of my dress exaggerates my cleavage, I layer a few golden necklaces down my neck and collarbones. The shoes I select are a simple pair of black stiletto heels, classy but hot. I add a light layer of nude makeup to my face and pull the front few strands of my hair back, securing them with a golden clip.

I may be about to walk into prominent death, but I'll look stunning doing it.

I approach the door, inhaling a deep breath as I rest my hand upon the knob. Exhaling, I pull it open and step into the hall.

Kai leans against the stone wall opposite me, ankles crossed and expression bored. His silver eyes trace every inch of me, something approving entering his gaze.

"I dressed for myself, not you" I clarify, voice stiff.

"Even better," he mutters under his breath, a low laugh slipping free.

I open my mouth, ready to to make a snide comment but nothing comes out. The way he's looking at me has my pulse racing. Why him? Between Laurent and The Devil's sons, i'd say my taste in men is harrowing.