ten

ASHTON’S HOUSE WAS VERY dark and lonely. His parents weren’t around, and his siblings weren’t there either. Calum was crying on the couch into a fluffy pillow, not wanting his best friend to see him cry. Ashton hadn’t even told him what she did yet. He hugged the Kiwi nonetheless, letting him sob in his chest like he did with him in the car not too long ago.

“J-Just tell me what she did.” He sniffed, wiping his puffed up eyes.

The blond-brunette got his phone from the arm of the lounge, putting in his password (which was ‘luke’) and going through the camera roll. He pressed on the dreadful 253 of 382 and passed it to him.

“She sent nudes to all the rich boys in the class.”

He watched his best friend look at it for at least a few minutes, the shiny coat glossing over his eyes. Calum spotted the freckle that was on the lower end of her hips, and the small scar just below her breast, thinking only I was meant to see that. But she’d sent it to all of the boys. None of them even told him about it.

“Oh.” His heart felt like it dropped into the pit of his stomach and shattered into a million pieces.

“I only kept it to show you, I swear.” The older one whispered, breaking him out of his daydream. Or, he noticed as he looked outside, nightmare.

He didn’t get it. He wasn’t even properly in love with the girl, and she’d broken his heart. Whatever, he told himself, I don’t need her anyway. He pushed a few more tears out and wiped his nose with his sleeve.

“Okay.”

Ashton leant over and hugged him. “Kill ‘em.” He giggled, tackling his friend properly. “Calum,” he dragged out, blowing raspberries in his neck to make him laugh too. “Don’t be sad.” Finally, a little giggle escaped the sad boy.

“Don’t! I’m trying to be sad.” He groaned, trying to push his best friend off of him.

The older boy was like a hyper puppy when somebody visited his house. Nobody ever visited the house, and he was always getting lonely. His parents were . . . busy. And his siblings were too. They didn’t really have much time for him.

“I-I have to g-go.” Calum laughed. “M-Mum’s going to be a-angry.”

“Won’t you be sad?” he asked, wishing somebody would be asking him that.

“Uh, my baby-sitter’s there.” The tanned boy said awkwardly. “I’ll just pretend I’m drunk and hug him.” He smirked, getting up and going to the door. “See ya, Ash.”

“Bye,” he started to say, but Calum was already gone.

He slumped into the lounge, that lonely feeling settling in again. Ashton got up, sighing in a sad way – not of relief or content. He frowned, trying to listen to any signs of life. There was nothing, only him. He walked to the fridge and took out an armful of beers – his dad wouldn’t mind.

After a few drinks, he decided to pay his family a visit, knowing that they wouldn’t visit him. He walked down to where they usually were, drinking bottles as he went, shattering them on the pavement as he went and picking up flowers from people’s gardens.

He walked in. many people were there, and he knew all of their names. They stared at him, expressionless. He was a regular occurrence at the community lot, but they always acted like he was new. He walked through the people in the dark of the night, a half-empty bottle in his hand. He dropped it, giggling, “Sorry, George.” He walked over to his family.

They seemed to be watching him, his parents standing side-by-side. It was crowded, so Lauren and Harry hid behind them. “Dad,” he nodded in greeting, but he gave him a hard-as-stone glare. “Mum,” he kissed her on the forehead, but she said nothing. She’d always given him the silent treatment. “L-Lauren,” he sniffed. Her eyes were cold, giving him a long, hard stare. “P-Please, don’t look at me like that.”