FORTIS IN ARDUIS

"Earth to Lara!"

Finnick waved a hand in front of her face. She snapped out of her daze and refocused on him, sending a sheepish smile his direction.

"What's wrong?" he asked, "You've been spacing out on me since last night."

She clasped her hands together and rested her chin on top of them. It was an indication that she didn't want to talk about it.

He sighed and looked around the training room for any bystanders. There was no one with them, allowing him to speak without fear of being overheard.

"If this is about Katniss-"

"Of course it is."

"Then you have nothing to worry about," he assured, "The jet left this morning and Katniss hasn't been heard from since then. Which means she made it."

She waved her hand dismissively. Finnick could tell there was something else on her mind. He could tell after she stood and picked up a spear tipped baton, twirling it in her hand as she paced.

He waited for her to admit what was bothering her on her own. It wouldn't be long until she cracked.

She paced for about a minute, complete with baton twirling and lip biting, before caving.

"I can't be here. Okay? Not while Katniss and everyone else is out there fighting."

He chuckled lightly, "Honey, you're still healing. Everyone understands why you're still in hiding."

"That's precisely the point, Finnick! I'm hiding."

His features softened as soon as he saw her shoulders deflate. She hated being useless, especially to a cause that was important to her.

"How am I supposed to sit back while Snow taunts us?" she muttered, "I've done that enough in the past and I can't do it anymore."

He sighed and stood up from his seat. He grabbed the baton and placed it on the table beside them, taking her hands in his own.

"I need to be out there."

Her words were firm, but he could sense the hesitance. She wanted to take Snow down as fast as they could, but she was afraid of getting captured again. She knew she wouldn't make it out alive if there was a next time.

But nonetheless, Lara's resolve was strong. She put her hands on both sides of his face, staring deeply into his eyes. He knew she was prepared.

He slightly nodded at her.

"Okay...we'll help them. But Coin's not gonna let you out of here until she knows you're ready," he stated.

She nodded and kissed his cheek briefly as she passed, "Leave that to me."

She marched out of the training room with a reinvigorated purpose. The citizens of district thirteen that watched her were practically leaping out of her way, afraid of the stance and aura she held.

She briefly passed by Johanna roaming the halls.

"What are you doing?" the latter questioned.

"I'm gonna get in a fight."

That was all Lara said before she rounded the corner. Johanna was tired and frankly couldn't bring herself to question it any further.

She simply smirked and shook her head in amusement, "Sounds about right."

Lara continued to make her way to the command center. Once she was there, she threw open the doors to the conference room where Coin and Plutarch were having a discussion. As she entered, the latter was quick to remove whatever footage was on the screen, eager to keep it away from her eyes.