ENOUEMENT

"You should visit more often."

Haymitch chuckled as he pulled on his coat. Elias and Lara both escorted him to the door of their home as he prepared to leave.

"I wish it was under better circumstances," he sighed.

Lara solemnly nodded.

It had been a tough day for them. Finnick's funeral had been at district four a few hours ago. It was a small service, despite the amount of people who felt grief over his death. But the funeral was kept to close family and friends, mainly including the remaining tributes, Cressida, Pollux, Gale, Elias, and President Paylor. They came to respect his memory.

Once the service was over, Lara stayed until Elias and Haymitch pulled her away. The woman had made the decision to move to district four where she could be close to where Finnick was buried and to take care of Annie. But they first had to move their things out of the Foraye's old childhood home.

Haymitch had helped them pack and secured their transport. He intended on going back to district twelve to keep Katniss and Peeta company. After the woman had shot Coin, she'd been forced to isolate herself until she was pardoned. Both Peeta and Haymitch supported her, which meant he needed to get back.

Haymitch reached into his inside jacket pocket and pulled out a small metal box. He offered it to Lara, which she gingerly took.

"What's this?" she asked, looking at the rusted cover.

"Finnick gave it to me before you guys went out to help Katniss. He said that if anything happened, I should give it to you."

Her eyes fluttered up to lock with him. She didn't know Finnick had made a plan for that situation. She didn't know Haymitch knew about it either.

The man chuckled lightly and scratched the back of his head, "I should probably let you go through that on your own."

He turned to leave out the open door. Lara was so distracted that she nearly let him go. But she reached out and snatched his arm just in time.

"Wait, I have something for Katniss and Peeta."

She hurried back to the living room and found the letter she had written. It was neatly resting on the mantle, waiting for her to take it. She grabbed it quickly and came back to the door where Haymitch waited.

"Here," she handed him the sealed envelope. He took it with appreciation, shoving it into his coat pocket.

Elias and him shook hands in farewell. But Lara hugged Haymitch, pulling him close by the shoulders.

"Thank you for everything," she whispered. She'd come to realize that Haymitch had protected her a lot more than she'd realized ever since they'd met.

The man chuckled once more and pulled back.

"Us victors have got to watch each other's backs, right?"

She grinned as the question brought her back to a specific memory; just another example of how Haymitch had saved her once again.

She pressed a small peck to his check before letting go and stepping back to her brother's side. He winked and saluted goodbye before leaving the house. Elias shut the door behind him after they saw him reach the sidewalk.