QUATERVOIS

"Listen up!"

The unit stopped their preparation for departure as Boggs called their attention. He moved to the center of the room and held an empty mag up for display.

"It's empty," he clarified, "It's just for the propo."

They were confused on why he was telling them this. But once he loaded a gun with the empty magazine and handed it to Peeta, they understood. He wanted to make sure they felt safe. Nonetheless, it made some of them nervous.

"Let's move. We're headed five blocks north."

Boggs led the way out of their shelter and into the open streets. Everyone followed behind, with Lara, Finnick, and Peeta in the middle.

During their march, Finnick helped Peeta memorize his lines for the propo. The latter was quiet and hesitant but the former was encouraging. It seemed that he was the only one too.

Lara kept an eye on them and their surroundings. She faintly heard the consistent sound of beeping from the Holo in front of them, but she was alert. Just because it didn't register on the device, didn't mean there weren't any other dangers.

She could tell everyone else was doing the same thing. Elias took up the back and kept a watchful eye on Lara, unbeknownst to her. He didn't trust Peeta being so close. Some part of him felt the need to keep her protected; perhaps a deeply hidden brotherly instinct.

Only ten minutes into their journey, they came to a stop. Cressida went to the front and pointed out the area.

"This is a good spot."

She gestured to the circular area of looming buildings with narrow entryways. Two large pillars stood in the center of the courtyard; just beyond it, was a perfectly pleasing vision for the background of their propo.

"Let us clear it."

Boggs led them past the pillars and to the inner ring of buildings. They fanned out on both sides of the small alleyway that connected the rings. They squatted down for safety right before Boggs threw a rock into the area, activating the pod.

Instead of fire like the last one, two large machine guns popped out from the walls. The sound of the constant shooting was enough to make them cover their ears. They ducked as a few bullets would ricochet past their cover.

Finnick was grinning like an idiot for some reason, finding a bit of amusement in how much effort went into killing them. But his arm and upper body stayed hovering over Lara, making sure she was well protected.

Once the shooting stopped, they waited until they heard the whir of the machine guns going back into the wall. Once it was completely clear, they moved from their cover positions and scouted ahead.

"Gale, Holmes, you're with me," Boggs ordered, "Leegs, take the wings."

They obeyed his command and went with him to secure the next area. The rest waited behind the first group.

Lara heard whimpering at her feet and noticed that Peeta was still hunched over. He was shaking and hitting his head against the butt of his gun, as if trying to get something out. Incoherent mumbles escaped his mouth.

She kneeled down and grabbed his face gently, trying to get him to look at her. But his eyes stayed screwed shut. Lara looked up for help and found Katniss watching them with a blank expression.

Any time for concern was gone the moment they heard an explosion. It was immediately followed by screams of anguish.

Lara popped up to her feet and looked to find Boggs lying on the ground, his legs nearly blown off. Katniss, Gale, and Holmes were already by his side, attempting to save him. The Leeg twins were farther ahead, with one being injured.