1. I Think We Had A Misunderstanding

A/N: The beginning of every chapter will consist of a flashback to provide some background for our two heroes. If you're not interested, skip to the non-italicised part.

As for the posting schedule... Let's see how long I can keep up with daily new chapters, shall we? Enjoy!

The girl with the flaming red hair burst into laughter, throwing her head back. Even the incessant rattling of the Hogwarts Express couldn't drown out this beautiful sound. When she finished laughing, the girl brushed a stray strand of fiery hair out of her face. Her smile was so wide even her freckles beamed. Emma couldn't understand how somebody could be so... so happy. She smiled back shyly.

"I like you, you're funny," said the girl, taking Emma by surprise once again. She stuck her hand out. "My name is Lily. Lily Evans."

"Oh, uh, Emma. I'm Emma Moore," Emma stuttered, shaking the girl's hand.

"Come," said Lily. "I want you to meet my friend."

Unsure what else to do, Emma followed the girl past half a dozen compartments, until she finally opened one. There was only one other kid there. A boy with raven-black hair and a dark bluish-purple rim under his right eye.

"Oh," said the boy, glancing between his friend and the new girl. "Who's this?" His voice was soft and thoughtful, as if his own words continuously surprised him.

"Severus, this is Emma. Emma, Severus."

"Hi," said Emma, feeling her cheeks burn under his curious gaze.

"Hey," the boy responded.

A silence followed, in which Lily sunk down on the benches and Severus plopped down next to her, still watching Emma warily.

"I can fix that," Emma suddenly blurted out.

Severus' eyebrows raised. "What?"

"Your... Your eye... I can fix it, if you want." Her voice grew softer and softer until she herself could barely make out the words.

Severus stared at her. "You can?"

"Do it!" said Lily, all but bouncing up and down.

Emma nodded. "My aunt taught me."

"Alright then," said Severus. "Go on."

Emma's hands shook as she took her wand out of her pocket. She tapped softly on his cheek and whispered, "Episkey."

Emma stopped walking and set her trunk, which contained all her possessions, down on the path, the cage with her toad on top of it

Emma stopped walking and set her trunk, which contained all her possessions, down on the path, the cage with her toad on top of it. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, she looked up.

Hogwarts, school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The most beautiful place in all of Scotland. The castle loomed over her, as if to welcome her back in with open arms. For the first time in a very long time a genuine, relaxed smile tugged at the corners of her lips. She was home.