22. I Never Stopped Loving You

"If it isn't our favourite duo of losers!"

"Ignore them," Emma muttered. She grabbed Severus' wrist, knowing full well he'd already taken out his wand. "Just keep walking."

"Where are you going, Moore?" Potter shouted after them. "We've acquired a fun little fact for you."

"I don't care. Leave us alone," she called over her shoulder, not slowing her pace.

Potter and Black sprinted past them and slid in front of them, two identical grins on their faces. They put their hands up to show they were empty. "No wands," they said. "Just a little chat. We think you'll be interested in this."

Severus pulled on her arm, whispering, "Let's go."

But the Gryffindor boys wouldn't let them pass. "Lily told me I'm not allowed to pick on you two anymore," said Potter. "So I thought I'd be nice for a change. You must be wondering why your almost-boyfriend Reid changed his mind so suddenly, aren't you?"

Emma froze. How did he know about that?

Before she could respond, Severus jumped forward, his wand raised. "Shut up!" he screamed. "Just shut up!"

With a wide smirk on his face, Potter leaned aside to look past him. "Well, I think that should tell you all you need to know, shouldn't it?"

She tried to swallow, but her throat suddenly felt parched, as she struggled to make sense of the situation. "Severus? What's he talking about?"

"Nothing, Emma!" he roared. "Don't listen to him!"

"Alright, I'll tell you then," said Potter. "Reid changed his mind about you, because your good friend here, threatened him."

Emma stepped back. "That's a lie. You're lying." Her breathing quickened when her best friend refused to look at her. "Severus? You didn't..."

When he finally glanced at her, his eyes were filled with guilt. "I didn't mean... I couldn't..."

"Oh, God, you did." Emma gasped for air, before storming past the boys towards the castle. Behind her, the Gryffindors roared with laughter.

Her feet took her to the one place she knew she could be alone: the empty classroom on the second floor. She slammed the door shut behind her and crumpled to the floor, tears spilling from her eyes. He was her best friend, and he'd betrayed her.

When the door opened and Severus stepped inside, she jumped to her feet, wand raised. Her heart pounded in her chest and she couldn't control her tears.

He stuck his hands up. "Emma, I'm sorry. Please..."

"Sorry? You're sorry? You purposely broke the only relationship I've ever had before it even started! Why, Severus? What were you thinking?"

He flinched, lowering his head.

"How could you do that to me? I thought you were my friend!" she roared.

"I am! Emma, please..."

She stepped forward, poking her wand into his chest. "A real friend wouldn't do that! Do you just want me to be lonely and unhappy? Is that it?"

"No! Of course I don't!"

"Then why, Severus? Why?"

"Because I thought I was going to be lonely!" he blurted out.

She hesitated, until the anger found its voice again. "Stop lying to me!"

"It's the truth, Emma," he said, staring at the floor below their feet. "Every time Lily starts dating someone, she disappears on us for weeks on end. Like we don't even exist anymore. I didn't want to lose you that way too. I didn't want to be alone."