Prologue

It was early-July, when a low-hanging sun desperately tried to warm up the little town of Hogsmeade. Calm and quiet blanketed the town this time of the year, as the nearby school had closed for the summer. It was an ordinary day in this ordinary wizarding settlement.

Yet Emma Moore's life was about to change.

She stumbled upon landing, sticking her arms to the side in a feeble attempt to regain her balance.

"Bloody hate apparition," she mumbled, straightening out her ebony robes. This mode of transportation,disappearing from one place and reappearing somewhere else, was uncomfortableat best, like being forced through a very tight rubber tube.

Just as she started walking, thick, heavy drops of rain pierced the sky. Her braided, chestnut hair was damp before she even had the chance to pull up her hood.

With a heartfelt groan, she glared at the sky and took her wand out of her pocket. She tapped the tip of her hood with it, muttering, "Impervius." While the rain continuedas vigorously as ever, the charm made her clothes repel the water.

That oughtta do it, she thought to herself. Can't arrive at a job interview soaking wet.

Despite everything she'd been through that week, she wanted to look her best today. She needed this job. Especially now.

Reaching the corner of the street, Emma glanced around, trying to figure out which way to go. She hardly recognised the place without a layer of snow on the rooftops. She'd never been to Hogsmeade during the summer. It was so much more gloomy now. Somehow the gleaming white snow always made the town look bright and lively.

Turning a full circle, she spotted the Shrieking Shack behind her. A smile danced on her lips as one memory after another pushed its way to the front of her consciousness.

Two best friends, talking for hours on end, speculating about the horrors that the Shack might conceal. Laughing when one of them suggested banshees, like they didn't have a care in the world. That laugh, his laugh, it used to warm her heart, no matter how cold it was outside.

Emma sighed, shaking the memories out of her mind. This was not the time and place. After all her hard work, this was not what she wanted to go back to.

Taking a random right, she asked herself for the hundredth time whether this was a good idea. Why did she decide to come back here? Hogwarts, of all places. Was she just fleeing from the present, trying to go back to when things were good? Had her severed relationship with Jordan really done that to her?

Emma reached into her hood and pulled the braid out, fiddling with its tip. It didn't matter. Her old friend wasn't here. She wasn't going back to the past, even if she wanted to.

The rain plummeted down as she walked by the half-illuminated shops, but the Impervius-charm did its job. She rounded a corner and let out a chuckle of relief when she finally spotted the inn. Just down the street and she'd be out of this blasted rain. As she set off for the last few feet, she wondered if Professor Dumbledore was already there.

The inn was quiet. A few old wizards sat scattered about the homey room, but most tables were empty. Madam Rosmerta stood behind the bar, cleaning glasses, and smiled when Emma walked in. It took her half a moment to realise Dumbledore must've told Rosmerta she was coming.

"Ah, there you are, Miss Moore."

Emma turned towards the gentle voice behind her, gluing the widest smile onto her face. "Professor Dumbledore! How nice to see you again."

"And you. It's delightful, hearing from an ex-student. You look well, dear." His eyes sparkled above his half-moon glasses. "Please, follow me."

Dumbledore lead her up the stairs behind the bar and into a room with nothing but a hardwood desk and a couple of leather chairs to cheer it up. He gestured for her to sit down and lit the candle on the desk with a wave of his hand. It flickered merrily, dancing in harmony with the nervous butterflies inside her stomach. He sat down opposite her and folded his hands on top of the desk.