Chapter One: The Discovery

Y/N POV:

I awoke in the middle of the night to find a thin red thread on my little finger. tried untying it but, it wouldn't budge. I tried cutting it too, but to no avail. I sighed and decided to get dressed and follow the thin red thread outside. I passed my neighbors houses, candles out and dark, past the Valentine Stables and onto the now empty roads leading in and out of Valentine. 

John POV:

I woke up in the middle of the night and found a red string tied around my little finger. I tried sliding it off to no avail, I tried to untie it but it seemed that the knot just kept on growing tighter and tighter. eventually, to stop my fingers from becoming necrotic, I had to stop which magically loosened the knot. I let out a sigh and pulled out my knife which used to belong to an old friend of mine, I never pulled it out unless absolutely necessary as it brought bad memories for me. I looked at it and sighed. I brought it down onto the flowing red thread. right as the knife was about to strike, the string became resistant as if it were made of titanium. the knife and my arm bounced back a bit. I sighed and looked up to the night sky watching the stars and the moon above me. I looked back down at my little finger and the string attached to it. Against my better judgement, I followed it.