7 | tea talks

Adrien returned to Marinette's apartment feeling incredibly down.

He wasn't sure what he had been expecting when he ventured out to find Ladybug, but the interaction they shared hadn't been a pleasant one. Ladybug made it very clear that she was not thrilled at all to be reunited with him, and that in fact, she was still hurt by the events that had been entirely his fault five years ago. He wasn't one to think that Ladybug was prone to hold a grudge, but apparently, he'd been wrong. Ladybug was definitely still mad at him, and he had a pretty good feelings she wasn't planning on forgiving him anytime soon.

The apartment was empty when he returned, which instantly dampened his already horrible mood considering he'd been looking forward to spending time with daughter without Marinette watching his every move. He supposed Nino decided to take Emma out rather than stay cooped up inside. Prior to giving him blankets for the night, Marinette had also given him a spare key so that he could come and go as he pleased. He honestly really appreciated the gesture because it meant that she trusted him enough to have complete access to her home, and that really made him feel good about himself. With that thought in mind, it was easy to focus more on the fact that he was getting a new start with his friends, even if Ladybug possibly hated him.

But even though Marinette seemed to be overall comfortable around him, a part of him was also worried that her mutuality with him wouldn't last long, especially if she were to find out that he was Chat Noir, and therefore Emma's father. He could only imagine the fury that would ignite, and the possibility of her telling him that he could never see their daughter again.

With that thought in mind, he entered the living space feeling even lower than he had with his encounter with Ladybug. Adrien kicked his shoes off by the door to join a few other pairs that he assumed belonged to Marinette and their daughter. Adrien sighed heavily in what could only be interpreted as defeat, pulling out his phone from his back pocket as he ambled over towards the couch. He was bombarded by a ton of notifications as soon as his screen lit up, the majority of those notifications being missed calls and text messages from Natalie, which he knew were in regards from his father. Because the fashion designer himself couldn't possibly call his own son—that was just too much trouble for the famous Gabriel Agreste. Adrien let out another heavy sigh as he scrolled through Natalie's list of messages. From what she had sent him, it seemed his father was determined to see him, and wasn't planning on taking no for an answer.

Adrien turned off his phone and tossed it to the other side of the couch.

He didn't feel like going to see his father.

He knew what his father wanted—and it wasn't to greet his son after not seeing him for five years. No. Gabriel Agreste only had one intension, and that was to lecture his son for being an idiot and coming back to Paris, leaving all of his 'accomplished success' behind. Except... Adrien didn't see any of that success as an accomplishment like his father did. Sure, he had fulfilled all his dreams. But in the process, he'd lost something much more valuable.

Marinette.

And his father wouldn't understand that, because his father considered success to be more important than love.

Adrien outstretched his body along the couch, his body taking up the entire furniture. He closed his eyes, forcing himself to take a deep breath. Otherwise focusing on all the emotions regarding his father, his daughter, and Marinette combined would make him explode... and the last thing he wanted was for someone to come home and catch him crying.

So, he kept his eyes closed, simply enjoying the silence.

He smiled to himself as he began to picture a hopeful future that involved Marinette and his daughter. He dreamed of the three of them, the perfect little family—something he had always dreamed of having. Something his parents failed to give him. He tried to drown out the thought that loomed in his mind, the one that tried to convince him that he was just like his own parents, because he had failed to be there for Emma. Instead, Adrien continued to paint a picture in his mind. A picture of how their future could look.